Livery yard which would you prefer ?(tack room)

blitznbobs

Visit site
Given everything else is exactly the same, If you could choose between having your own small secure tack room connected to your stable (space for 2 saddle / bridle racks and a small set of drawers or the like) or a communal secure tack room with 2 assigned saddle and bridle slots with a social area for tea/coffee and a few comfier seats, which would you chose?( In the second example there is some extra storage for a set of drawers or the like outside each stable.)

tashcat

Visit site
I've seen livery yards with both and I personally prefer the second - that space could be much better utilised for rugs, boots and other bits and bobs.

joosie

Visit site
I'd prefer the second. It sounds nice and sociable! Plus I am not a fan of cluttered yards / aisles because of the safety aspect (well, and the mess aspect tbh) so I'd rather not have loads of stuff outside stables.
If you are after more storage, I freelanced at one yard that had built a full-length triangular cupboard into a back corner of each stable so that grooming stuff, boots, fly hoods etc could go in there. It saved the valuable tack room space for saddles and bridles, and made life easier for everybody from a practical point of view.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
How can a communal tack room ever be secure? I'd be more worried about other liveries nicking or damaging my stuff than burglars.

Separate for me, like Penningtons if you've been there. They have the full width of the back of the stable walled off. Room for your feed, rugs and everything. Heck you could even sleep in it if you wanted 😂

Last edited:

dogatemysalad

Visit site
The first. Best yard I was on, had a bay for our 3 horses, along with our own tack room and a feed room. I prefer the security, knowing that I've locked the door each time I leave. Shared tack rooms are ok, but messy people who spill their stuff across the floor are a pain.

blitznbobs

Visit site
How can a communal tack room ever be secure? I'd be more worried abbot other liveries nicking or damaging my stuff than burglars.

Separate for me, like Penningtons if you've been there. They have the full width of the back of the stable walled off. Room for your feed, rugs and everything. Heck you could even sleep in it if you wanted 😂
Blinking heck that’s a blast from the past - I’ve not been to Penningtons
since the 80s I was on a’list’ to get my pony there but I found another much smaller yard first... is it still going? Wow!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I’d never keep my tack on a livery yard any way (have actually never been on a yard that allowed it, for obvious reasons), so option two would be my preference- because its more social.

JFTDWS

Visit site
I've been on a few with variations on the first. I much prefer it. I don't want to have to push through people milling around drinking coffee to get to my tack / gear, and that's before we deal with idiots leaving it unlocked!

Reactions: TPO

Moon River

Visit site
Own space, I've known way way too many communal tack rooms get cleared out by outsiders and insiders, and I can't afford to lose my stuff.

Reactions: TPO

Surbie

Visit site
It depends on the level of 'secure'. My last yard had a shipping container as a tack room. It was left open a fair few times because the padlocks were a PITA and people are forgetful. Fortunately nothing was lost. My current yard also has a shipping container, with 2 internal locked tack rooms as well as the locked deadbolt door to enter. It also has a very strict YM and 24/7 CCTV, which makes me happy about leaving my tack there.

Given past experience with a tack room being left open, I'd go for a communal room only if the yard was really secure. Otherwise I'd go for individual space and still probably take at least my saddle home.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I like my own space. Plus I think individual locked tack rooms are probably less tempting to thieves. Communal spaces are only nice if everyone gets on. Awful if you fall out with someone or there's a horrible clique but you have to go past them to get your tack.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Thing is those at the back of stables are really difficult to secure, I have been on yards that have been cleaned out several times. Would much prefer a proper brick built alarmed tack room I wouldn't want my tack left in the back of the stable I would take it home.