Livery Yard

Helga1980

Visit site
Touch wood I will be purchasing my own horse in the next 6 months. I have previously owned horses but always kept them at my parents (have moved away so not possible now
frown.gif
)

My question - when you were looking for a livery yard (DIY / Part) what were your top three priorities?

There are bound to be a 101 things you were looking for, but just wondering on the 'burning issues'.

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
no 1 all year turnout.
no 2 access to a stable.
no 3 decent hacking and or a good menage.
no 4 safety.

I know it's 4, but they're the things I'd need to be certain of.

Munchie

Visit site
Well at the moment

1. does it have space
2. is it within a reasonable distance
3. does it have a school!

Seem to be struggling to find somewhere at the moment, though off to see two this weekend so fingers crossed!!

Good hacking and all year T/O are also on my list of priorities - could never keep my horse anywhere where there is limited T/O. The poor man would go mad!

Tia

Visit site
I have a livery stables so I get to meet a wide and varied amount of people and here are some of the reasons they give me for moving their horse to our farm:

Knowledgeable owner on site 24 hours a day
24 hour turnout (if wished) in large fields with shelters, 12 months a year
Good hacking (we have the best for miles around
smile.gif
)
Good safe environment (fencing and stabling)

And not a concern to you guys over there but automatic heated water-drinkers are something which are commented on a lot.

anniedoherty

www.boxtreegallery.co.uk
1. Good school facilities
2. Not too busy (as I am a novice and still working things out so lots of children flying around on their ponies would put me off!)
3. Friendly yard owner (which usually means most other livery clients are friendly too, although not necessarily all of them, of course)
4. Enough turnout
5. Knowledgable yard owner who is willing to help (like I said, I am a novice and still desparate for help and advice)

Sorry that is 5 things but they are all v important to me and that is what I based my decision on.

Helga1980

Visit site
Thanks for all these points, will help me draw up a list of issues to compare local yards on.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is security, does everyone keep their tack at home or does your yard provide secure storage?

Thanks