Livery Yard

boomchakawowi

Visit site
Recently we had a new pony moved to our yard, when it was turned out into the field with the geldings there was a bit of commotion caused by him, a couple of the older horses came in lame due to his behaviour then my horse came in hopping lame…. The vet came and did a general lameness work up but then said he would need to investigate via nerve blocks etc
Of which I would need a separate appointment and my horse would need to be taken to the clinic, luckily when we went back the lameness had healed and on returning to the yard the yard owner was there and I was explaining my day at the vets etc and he replied oh no the pony never kicked him in the hind leg he kicked him in the middle of his body….. this was the first he’d ever spoken about this and to be honest I was shocked… he even went on to say I was there I saw it!!!!!!!!! The pony was taken out of the field by the owner for approx 7 weeks but now the yard owner is insisting that we put our horses back out into the field with him and I’m really scared of my horse getting injured again… I know horses will be horses but does anyone else think this is bad management?
I would love to leave this yard but where we live there is not much else around ….

silv

Visit site
Sounds very unfair especially if it has kicked several others, if you all tell the yard owner you are not happy would he change his mind? I would be livid personally. The only other option would to insist the troublemaker has its hind shoes removed to minimise damage, but really that is not a satisfactory alternative either. Can you tape off part of the field for kicker to keep it separate?

chocolategirl

Visit site
Sounds very unfair especially if it has kicked several others, if you all tell the yard owner you are not happy would he change his mind? I would be livid personally. The only other option would to insist the troublemaker has its hind shoes removed to minimise damage, but really that is not a satisfactory alternative either. Can you tape off part of the field for kicker to keep it separate?
This really. I’m a yard owner of some 26 years, and if I had a troublesome one like this, which I haven’t luckily, I would try putting it in a taped off area of the field and just keep it separate for a while. How were they originally introduced? I ask as this is often where the issue begins if it isn’t done correctly.

boomchakawowi

Visit site
This really. I’m a yard owner of some 26 years, and if I had a troublesome one like this, which I haven’t luckily, I would try putting it in a taped off area of the field and just keep it separate for a while. How were they originally introduced? I ask as this is often where the issue begins if it isn’t done correctly.
They were introduced by putting him in the next door field for about 2 weeks, the owner of the field is saying he was cut late too….. he is a very cresty and flashy welsh cob pony, the owner of the yard is blind sighted by the owner and seems to love her

twobearsarthur

Visit site
I wouldn’t be happy at all, the potential consequences could be absolutely catastrophic. I’ve been the owner of a trouble causing horse (not to this extent) but, she had a way of causing chaos and mayhem if put out with a herd. We used to tape her off from the others, so she was in the same field but seperate for everyone’s sanity and safety. If you’re the owner of a chaotic horse you have to have the insight to realise this and the grace to recognise that you have to manage them differently. It really isn’t fair on everyone else. I think the yard owner is being very short sighted.

chocolategirl

Visit site
They were introduced by putting him in the next door field for about 2 weeks, the owner of the field is saying he was cut late too….. he is a very cresty and flashy welsh cob pony, the owner of the yard is blind sighted by the owner and seems to love her
Two weeks is more than reasonable tbf. Is it a mixed herd by any chance? If it is, the fact he was cut late will be a huge influence.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My cob had a few chances to play nice with my baby horse. They were grazed over the fence, stabled next door, ridden out together. However, every time Rigsby-cob was near baby horse, he was awful to him and injuries occurred. I gave up and they can see each other now, but not touch.

I would not be happy to reintroduce your horse without knowing what mitigation they planned.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Recently we had a new pony moved to our yard, when it was turned out into the field with the geldings there was a bit of commotion caused by him, a couple of the older horses came in lame due to his behaviour then my horse came in hopping lame…. The vet came and did a general lameness work up but then said he would need to investigate via nerve blocks etc
Of which I would need a separate appointment and my horse would need to be taken to the clinic, luckily when we went back the lameness had healed and on returning to the yard the yard owner was there and I was explaining my day at the vets etc and he replied oh no the pony never kicked him in the hind leg he kicked him in the middle of his body….. this was the first he’d ever spoken about this and to be honest I was shocked… he even went on to say I was there I saw it!!!!!!!!! The pony was taken out of the field by the owner for approx 7 weeks but now the yard owner is insisting that we put our horses back out into the field with him and I’m really scared of my horse getting injured again… I know horses will be horses but does anyone else think this is bad management?
I would love to leave this yard but where we live there is not much else around ….

OP have not read all replies.

IN my livery yard ALL new horses spend a week in adjacent field and gradually get introduced, because of what happened to my mare and poor Alfie. I see your yard does similar, but if a horse proves to be a bad kicker, all my liveries choose not to have kicker in the field and they are asked to leave. We do not do individual turnout.

OK ! this is why I had putting new horses straight into a field with an existing group, I know many do it it here no issues

My story, my late mare moved to a well known yard round here, no segregations, straight into a field with at least 15 horses. Next day I found a 5p size injury under her hock on the outside, I bathed it all that Saturday and Sunday, still weeping and on the Monday morning still trickling blood. So I called the vet, vet said "feel this" BONE! Taken to vet surgery, shattered splint bone in 19 pieces, on box rest for two months, then allowed turnout. The Damn coloured horse who did it, broke free from the groom taking it out the field and made a bee line for my mare who i was holding just inside the gate. My mare broke free from me as she was hyper due to box rest, charged after my mare evil ears back swinging round and kicking out at her. Finally caught this mare and I said not having my mare with it.

Zoom forward to 2009, a potential livery had the same scenario as you, she was a livery at a yard close by, y/o owner put this pony (known for kicking) into the field with her gelding, while the livery was on holiday. She got a call while away saying her horse was kicked and lame and was on box rest.

The livery came home to a huge vet bill and her gelding on box rest and veterinary care. She came to view my yard(2 weeks after the injury) saying " I cannot stand it there anymore the pony is still in the field and has kicked another horse"). I said " the stable is empty, you can come anytime". " Can I come tomorrow". " Yes of course". Then :( I got a call in the morning from the livery. She had got up to the yard early to find the rubber mats stroon everywhere, and her horse standing there with one of his front legs held in the air. Vet had been called, and the gelding, the love of her life pts. He had got down in the night and in the process of getting up, the fracture which the vets had not picked up on, and shattered.

RIP Beauty Alfie.

These incidents happened a few years ago. I am telling you OP as this set up you have could lead the same way, is this kicking pony is to be turned out again with yours, I would strongly recommended you keep your horse in till you find somewhere else, if there is no other field you can turn him out in.

It is not worth the risk seriously.

Last edited: