Livery yards ... feeling frustrated!!

Expo

Visit site
Sorry, this is another move or stay thread!

I moved yards a couple of months before Christmas, from a small(ish) private DIY yard to a bigger yard where I am on a part livery arrangement. This means the horse is on full livery during the week, but I do him myself at weekends. The new yard is very nice, well run with good facilities and lovely people. My stable is a bit small and a bit dark, but nowhere is perfect I suppose. Also, the current yard offers no cover at all at weekends in the event that I wanted to go on holiday, for example, and I am not sure how I would handle this issue when it arises. I have to be honest and say I forgot to ask when I moved as I just assumed I could pay for the cover as there are other, 7 day full liveries on the years and it is stuffed all week.

The other issue is, the yard is 8 miles from home which is a bit of a pain to do twice a day at weekends - early morning to turn out and muck out etc and then later in the day to bring in, ride, do nets or whatever. Of course, I go in the week to ride as well.

I have now discovered that a yard in my village (I can literally see it from my house!! I'm talking a 2 minute walk) has re-opened under new management and is offering a similar arrangement at a slightly cheaper price. A bigger, brighter stable, plenty of turnout, lots of safe off-road hacking: the school isn't great as it needs a new surface but I am assured that this is next on the list to do. It is clear that the new proprietor has already done a lot of work on the place with new fencing, fresh paint and other work and I'm sure that the school will be next to get the improvement. I'm more of a hacker than a schooler anyway, so that's not a big thing for me.

They have a place coming available shortly, and as I've know the new YM for years I have been offered the place. So do I move again or do I stay put? I really don't want to turn into one of those people who are continually swapping yards, but this is tempting.

Shadowdancing

Visit site
I don't think it should be an issue moving yards... just give the current one correct notice, explain that this other situation will suit you better, ensure you're paid up, leave your stable and storage areas clean and tidy and thank them very much for their help.

I hate the thought of leaving previous yards with bad feeling.. in an emergency I'd like to think I could at least join the waiting list there and to be fair there was really nothing 'wrong' with them (all 2 of them!) just a situation that was easier and more convenient had presented itself.

If it will work better move, just move in a courteous way, which I'm sure you will :)

Expo

Visit site
Thank you for the thoughts so far. Just read my original post and realised I meant to say the current yard is staffed all week, not stuffed!!!! :)

I think this might be a bit of a no-brainer really, and it will be lovely to have my boy literally just up the road.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
The only thing I would add is that I have found that often when yards open either new or reopen, sometimes the new manager/owner with the best of intentions hasn't truly thought through the costs and they don't stay cheap. However you may feel even if it goes up a bit it's a better option.

I would also ask the current yard about weekend possible turnout and holiday cover. If they say yes then you have another thing to consider. If they say no then you have a reason to move that shouldn't upset anyone as you need something they don't offer.

ROMANY 1959

Visit site
As others say...check what new yard does for liveries holidays etc ...then move... if you leave old yard on good terms, and new one does not work out then I am sure you could go back