Livery yards in London

VioletStripe

Visit site
Does anyone know any yards close to (with in 45 mins) on in South East London?? The livery yard I wanted to use is full, and I am desperate! Please can you only suggest good quality yards (BHS or ABRS approved)!!

Apalacia01

Visit site
Mount Mascals, Shannon Leigh, Old Bexley...depends what you are looking for... (livery wise!)...there are lots tucked away in that area. Otherwise Frogpool has some livery spaces, but I am not sure whether they are all full. Have a look on Frogpool's classified section for ideas!

VioletStripe

Visit site
Frogpool looks really good, and Mount Mascal, but Mount Mascal looks kinda expensive! Thank you! I will contact them both, to look at all their fees. A friend of mine has recommended Bromley Common Livery Stables, does anyone know anything about it, does anyone know if it's good or not??

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I have heard that bromley common is quite nice - not the most aesthetically gorgeous, but sounds like a decent place to keep a horse, with good hacking considering the location.

I have heard horror stories about most the yards around bexley heath - aside from the fact that the whole area is overgrazed with the equine population being so high in such a small space.

the frogpool manor website message boards has lots of ideas on it - there are quite a lot of yards out in kent but still within the M25 - lots of smaller ones which may well not be BHS approved etc, but will have good standards of care, and may feel a little more personal too.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Bexley imho is overhorsed. The only really bad one is Mount Mascals, the best being Shannon Leigh....Mascals has a separate livery yard called Taylors which has MUCH better grazing. Had my Mare at Mascals for 3 days on grass livery, but moved her as she couldn't move for the mud. Others may have different opinions though, and I know various people who love it there.

Don't know much about Bromley Common, as RachelFerd said, there are lots of nice yards around....but may not be BHS.

pootler

Visit site
I second what has been said above - avoid Bexley if you can. Try looking a little further out, Speedgate Saddlery has a livery yard on it with acres of hacking. I have heard good and bad about it but it's better than the Bexley ones.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
There are quite a few nice yards in Chelsfield and Downe. Avoid Biggin Hill as hacking is rubbish. Grab a Pegasus/local Horsemart.

Bromley Common Liveries has a website so have a google. It's a nice yard and I've heard good things about David Arthur who runs it. My only gripe is that it's a big yard, with lots of horses coming in and out (people at the yard going out to compete plus have their own shows) ~ they seem to get hit with strangles/herpes whenever they do the rounds. It is quite difficult to isolate/contain due to indoor American Barn system. They have some outdoor boxes but they usually use those for DIY'ers so it depends on what kind of livery you're looking for.

I live in SE London and keep mine in Westerham. It's a bit of a drive (20 mins) but the hacking is superb, and my horses happy so it's worth the drive.

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
p.s. I looked at Shannon Leigh before and it seemed OK. The lady who runs it (can't remember her name) seemed very kind and knowledgeable. They have automatic watering system and rubber matting which I don't particularly like personally (well I have rubber matting but bed as well !!). It has a massive school and they have jumping clinics. I seem to remember them having a warm wash down stable/solarium thing too. Another good point is that it seemed fairly busy in the evenings (good if you work full time and don't like the idea of riding alone in the dark winter evenings)

chriscrogul

Visit site
I have a small livery yard in Biggin Hill, very close to the network of bridleways which will take me to Downe in one direction, Tatsfield and Westerham the other. I certainly havn't found the hacking to be "rubbish"!

VioletStripe

Visit site
cool, I have been riding with my friend at mount mascal, it looks nice at the moment, but it may change during the winter. I agree, that in Bexley there are LOADS of yards, but i suppose that can be a good thing, especially if you have got a frisky horse that can easily get bored. My only concern is that whether the horses get looked after properly, there seem to be a lot of them, and I am wondering if there is enough help, does anyone keep there horse there, and are their horses looked after well? I think I will take a look around Taylor's, Mount Mascal and Bromley Common. Is Bromley Common approved by BHS or anyone else??

VioletStripe

Visit site
Surely, if Bromley Common is quite bad for spreading diseases they would have been shut down? Are there any vaccinations available to guard against herpes and strangles?? Bromley common is the closest to where i live, and my friend says it's quite good, but I have heard lots of mixed opinions... I suppose I should really take a look around it, and that will determine a lot. Are there any vaccinations or ways to prevent herpes or strangles or anything like that? Are there supplements??

Happy Bird

community.webshots.com
No, it's not bad for spreading diseases. I just personally don't like huge American Barn type stabling. It is difficult to isolate horses against airborn disease. I personally don't like huge yards (think there's over 50 liveries) but that is personal choice. I prefer small yards. You should go and have a look. It is very well run in my opinion but not for me (which is a real shame as I could walk to it from my house !)

chriscrogul

Visit site
Happy Bird, I wasn't offended at all! I think we have a mutual friend, Karen with Jack? If you're the person I'm thinking of who used to be at Holt Farm?

chriscrogul

Visit site
I don't think we've ever met, but I'm friends with Karen; think you posted some pics and I recognised Holt Farm! I had horses at Farleigh for a few years but originally kept horses in Brixton, which is probably why I think Biggin Hill is great for hacking!!! Went for a lovely ride round Downe and High Elms last weekend; that was lovely.

burtondog

www.michellehudson.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
Surely, if Bromley Common is quite bad for spreading diseases they would have been shut down? Are there any vaccinations available to guard against herpes and strangles?? Bromley common is the closest to where i live, and my friend says it's quite good, but I have heard lots of mixed opinions... I suppose I should really take a look around it, and that will determine a lot. Are there any vaccinations or ways to prevent herpes or strangles or anything like that? Are there supplements??

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG !!!! I've only just come across this post which touches on a subject which is particularly close to my own heart.

I was at Bromley Common in 2003 during the EHV drama, in fact I lost my first and most loved horse to the disease. It was the one and only time in 12 years I've know the place that they've ever had any kind "outbreak" unlike a number of nearby yards which are forever having incidents of strangles etc. I don't know who said that Bromley Common is bad for "spreading diseases" but that's just so unfair and essentially untrue.

I would agree with one of the earlier posts that it's not the most beautiful yard (to say the least) but it does have great hacking, all year round turnout, great yard manager living on site and 2 servicable arenas.

93evie

New User
Visit site
I think livery yards in bexley are good. yes there are many yards, but this isn't a bad thing, it means there are lots of local shows going on all year round, there are areanas to hire out, Hacking in woods, the forestry, back roads and at foots cray. dont dismiss it, good way to meet lots of horsey people to, which is never a bad thing, right?
smile.gif

hifly

Visit site
hi i run a livery yard just of the a3/m25 jct10 and have a couple of liveries that live in london and it takes them approx half and hour to drive ,if you would be interested in more info then let me know and i would gladly respond thankyou amanda

AfricanBeauty

Visit site
Hi,
I personally have experience of both Mount Mascal and Shannon Leigh. In my opinion S.L. is the better of the two, there are good and bad points about both. I learnt to ride at Mascal and kept my firt horse there for a while then moved up the road, after a few less positive experiences. If you want more information on either feel free to private message me and I would be happy to chat about them.