Liveryman Element Trimmers - anyone know.......

Kermie

Visit site
how to take the blades off for re-sharpening
blush.gif

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
You cannot sharpen the blades of the Elements, but you can get replacements for sensible money if they are actually blunt - I sell them through my website.

They have solid ceramic top and titanium coated bottom blades.

If they have had little use, then its probably down to clippings getting wedged between the blades and forcing them apart.

Take the blades off the clipper by snapping them downwards off the catch, then get a fine flatblade screwdriver (jewellers) or similar, and from the back of the blades carefully prise them apart with it against the spring tension. You will find this space full of clippings.

Like a pair of scissors, if the screw holding them together is slack, then the blades won't contact each other properly and as a result not have a shearing effect against each other. This also happens with big mains clippers but they have a screw to tension them and brute force can hold them together. Self tensioning blades use a spring and these can be overcome by sheer quantity of clippings.

Clean them up once you have them apart and re oil at least every 5 minutes when in use. This will make a huge difference to them.

I have a set which has had a lot of use clipping designs and they are still fine after heavy use if kept clean from clippings by taking out the blades and oil before and after each use - this is what the brush supplied is for.

Oh, did I say 'KEEP THEM CLEAN' and they will give good service
wink.gif

This advice applies to all clippers and trimmers BTW

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
I just re read this and the 'prise them apart' looks a bit ambiguous (it was late). Prise them just wide enough against the spring tension to get in between the blades with a small brush or a can of wd40 to clear the hair - don't dismantle the blade assembly as re-setting the springs can be a bit of a fiddle
crazy.gif

Kermie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
You cannot sharpen the blades of the Elements, but you can get replacements for sensible money if they are actually blunt - I sell them through my website.

[/ QUOTE ]

I phoned Farm Care and they told me they could sharpen them
confused.gif
How much are replacement blades? I did a google but couldn't find any.

They are definitely blunt - I let a "friend" use them and she clipped her hairy cob's legs with them!
mad.gif

Ashf

www.stencilbum.co.uk
Stencilbum I may be known as, but I'm a toolmaker by trade (over 20 years milling, drilling turning etc ).

Titanium coatings (the gold bit) give excellent wear but once its actually worn off, you throw it away. I've used drills with the same coating many times in manufacture and they are very high performance whilst its on, very poor and overheat when its gone.

Surface grinding (which is how they sharpen blades) will take this coating straight off and then you are down to base metal which is soft and lose its edge very quickly.

Anyone who tells you that it can be ground is talking rubbish.

Solid ceramic (the top blade) MUST be ground with a special carbide wheel, Grind a piece of ceramic with a normal grinding wheel and it destroys the wheel, Ceramic is very very hard.

The replacement blades are about £16 (ish) IIRC

Have you attempted to clean them as I suggested because you will find this problem with every set of blades you put in them ?

Clippers and trimmers have a tough life because as soon as you run them through the coat, the hair takes all the lubrication off the mating surfaces of the blades and the friction is very high - which is why I said oil them very regularly.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Do a search on the people that sell them on ebay and ask who sells blades.

There are at least two who have quoted me and also the Robinsons catalogue sell them for £16.00