Living in France with horses.

Mari

Visit site
I’ve just found this forum! Never scrolled down far enough before. My husband want us to move to France. There’s just the 2 of us plus my horse & pony. He’s not horsey but is a francofile. I’ve agreed to consider it if there is good off road hacking preferably directly from ‘our property’ as I don’t do road work - too dangerous . In the UK I compete at dressage & riding club activities but both me & the nags are getting older & I would like to hack more than once a month (have to box to off road riding at present) as well as do a bit of dressage etc. We are looking at Brittany but would consider other areas with similar weather. We don’t like hot weather. Any advice / suggestions would be welcome. I’ll just add we want an equestrian home for ourselves. We are not interested in any type of business opportunity.

Midlifecrisis

Visit site
Morning..there are a number of people on here who live in France and they ll be a fountain of knowledge I’m sure. Personally I wouldn’t make any decisions about a move until Brexit solutions crystal clear.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I'd message: Richard Rider (Normandy area) often found on the morning thread daily, in the Club House section here.
Also, Shady and Rollin who are both ex pats living long term in France with horses. Rollin breeds and competes, Shady rides out lots.

Hope you get info you want :) I've got family in Herault and am planning on retiring there (at present) as their location is v close to hills and lakes in the north west of that department and a very equine area for trail riding.

Mari

Visit site
Thanks folks. We’re not in a rush so will wait & see what happens, unless the absolutely ideal fantastic place comes on the market. We’re cash buyers so don’t have to sell to finance new home.

Shady

Visit site
Hi Mari!
I'm in the hot bit but my closest friend here has just moved to Brittany( Morbihan) and i'm planning on moving to a cooler area myself, possibly Brittany and if I did it would be Morbihan as the climate is better in that dept from what I can gather, less fierce than coastal parts of Finistere . I have seen some lovely equestrian properties and if it is like here i'm sure you can find one with good off road hacking near the house. I have seen at least 3 myself between 250-400 euro's . Many will have a menage, all will have barns.
I have just spoken to my friend today in fact and she now has a good vet, farrier and hay supplier, she said they were easy to find and speak a little English which sometimes is very nice when you are new and don't know the horsey words( they are very different!!),
Cash puts you in the best position but also leaves you with no get out option if you change your mind or disaster strikes, you will have to build one in to get around the 7 day retraction rule. Make sure you understand everything 100% about the property .
I am happy to offer any tips as iv'e been renovating and helping others for 14 years, there are many things that can catch you out over here and it can make a difference if you know a bit more when you start to inquire seriously.
Happy to look at any properties to see if anything jumps out
Yes, wait till after Brexit!!!! there will be lots of smaller houses for sale but i'm not sure about ones with land, property in the countryside is much more popular now than a few years back and many city dwellers are moving back out again if they can. Places with land around me seem to be selling very well under 400, 000euro's