Living out unrugged and hogged

CobsGalore

Visit site
The plan was for my overweight cob to live out unrugged for as long as possible, but I recently saw a comment on here about a horse having to be rugged because it was hogged.

I'm sure their mane does give them a lot of warmth, but surely he'll be ok unclipped and unrugged even though he is hogged?

Thoughts please!? :)

Wozpril

Visit site
Not sure about this one. I recently stopped pulling my mares mane and just let it grow naturally.
I was really surprised how much extra warmth it gave her. And it's not even really thick as she's a tb x.
In summer I have to plait it to ride or she really sweats under it.
So I would be wary of not rugging a hogged horse.
However, if yours is a cob with a really thick coat .... Maybe he'll be fine. Try him and see. I'm sure that he'll let you know if he's too cold, and it all depends on the weather. We might have a really mild winter!
:)

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
I think if you're planning on turning away for the winter, then I'd stop hogging.

A mane does offer warmth and protection.

CobsGalore

Visit site
He hasn't been hogged for about a month, and I am desperately trying to grow it! (I bought him hogged).

I guess I'll just have to keep an eye on him and the weather and see how he goes. He is a traditional heavyweight cob and is getting nice and furry, as well as being overweight.

I stupidly didn't think about his lack of mane, it just wasn't something I took into consideration - duh!

SO1

Visit site
I am sure he will be fine after all the mane normally only covers one side of the horses neck and the rest of his body will be very furry and if he is fat he will also have a layer of fat to help keep him warm.

I think it is worse in the summer when they have no mane to help keep the flies off their neck and faces.