Loading help!

sidsmum

Visit site
Hi,
I have a cob mare who is fine to load at home but can be incredibly difficult to load at shows when coming home.

I'm wondering/assuming it's because she doesn't want to leave the other horses. I've never had a horse that doesn't load before and I always said that I never would so I would really really like to get this problem cracked!

She isn't scared, and once she's on, she's on - you don't hear a peep from her. She is incredibly stubborn and last weekend was the worst she has been. She plants and will do her darndest to swing sideways.

I'm considering finding someone to come out and help - if anyone can recommend someone who covers Cheshire that would be great.
I have a dually headcollar which I will dig out - treats absolutely don't work, she just ignores them.

We tried circling each time I felt resistance which I think started to help but she also decided to throw some moves when she realised she was almost on.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it's not a problem I have ever encountered before!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Move her and keep her moving never allow her to stand still sideways backwards forwards what ever... the horse that plants is using its weight against you and is happy to stand there all day but by making ‘not loading ‘ hard work it can get over the issue ... if that doesn’t work something like a dually might help used properly ... other than that I’d recommend Richard Maxwell - not cheap but he teaches you so if you listen to him you’ll never have an issue loading a horse ever again.

Batgirl

Visit site
Chris Thompson at Pennine View Stud is a god among loaders and is an excellent teacher. Yorkshire so potentially could come to Cheshire, worth an ask.
You will get lots of differing opinions - I personally would never circle away.

sidsmum

Visit site
Thank you both!
Batgirl - that's why I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and get someone out. I'll have a google of Chris Thompson - thanks!

Blitznbobs, that was kind of what I was trying to do - so good to know I'm thinking along the right lines. It's just being quick enough to anticipate.
I'l have a look at Richard Maxwell, although he might be a bit too expensive for me sadly!

I've found a couple of people who might be able to help - although only through google not recommendations. Lynn Bird, Justine Harrison and Matt Owen who I think I've come across before.

ETA eek! Yes at £450 I think Richard Maxwell is a little too expensive for me sadly! Maybe if I was closer! :)

Last edited:

Pinkvboots

Visit site
I also agree to keep her moving I would make her reverse if she won't go forward and I would never turn a horse away from the ramp, they either go back or forwards once they are led to the ramp and as soon as she tries to plant send her backwards.

Clodagh

Visit site
Can you put a line behind her? I have never failed with 2 crossed lungelines behind them and just haul, assuming you have two spare bodies to do that.

henmother

Visit site
I had some serious issues with my lad loading but my amazing yo stepped in to help out as always . Can you get her to walk across the ramp, so not heading into trailer but just walking across ramp ? See if she will walk across ramp , in both directions . Make no big deal about it , but keep doing it . Think my yo did maybe 10 times each way then he walked up like nowts a bother !! On and off a few times and it was like he was a new boy!! The circling thing didnt help us, he would just plant , but I think perhaps it was partly my fault . I am exceptionally unsteady on my feet and lack the strength to stride with confidence. As yo told me, easier said than done I know , you need to approach with the image and thought that he / she WILL load, and there'll be no song and dance about it . I won't get my knickers in a twist and he won't object , sounds a bit daft re-reading it here but it really does help. Never used anything other than his usual leather travel headcollar . Since the walking across the ramp exercise he loads as sweet as a nut , even when da , head groom in training , loads him for me when I'm too weak.
Hope that helps as I was considering getting someone out to help but thankfully the help was right there for me , I am a very very lucky livery .

rachk89

Visit site
Don't pull her head, very rarely works and they just pull back. Line behind her or get one of those loading aids so that you can hold her head and make her back legs move forward.

Had this problem for ages with my horse. He's fine once in too, but refuses to load. I've managed to get it down to about 10 mins now.

Carlosmum

Visit site
I stopped using the dually with mine because I felt i was always pulling on his head and he was going into the pressure rather than walking in to it to release. Now I use a bridle with a chain on the bit, still gives me control if he pulls away but not on the front of his nose. Echo what the others have said about keeping him moving if not on the trailer. I find I can walk mine through if the front bar is down but we have to do this 6-10 times before he will actually stand on the trailer without barging forwards or rushing back. ( I am on my own & have to do the back bar myself). Basically we keep moving either through the trailer or around it until he gets bored.

SWE

Visit site
Dually transformed mine (i'm not one that usually tries alternative methods but he was SO stubborn and he wasn't going to be told!)

You need to put in the groundwork before you even go near the lorry, though. Watch some of the Monty Roberts videos on Youtube... It literally worked like it does in the videos! I was in shock! :)

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Having had a horse who wouldn't load since the day he'd arrived (3yr old, sedated) let alone travelled, i was desperate after all previous 'trainers' had failed, within 20 minutes of presenting him to a trailer Richard Maxwell had him fully loaded and he's walked straight on ever since, doesn't even hesitate! I would recommend him every time but I understand he's expensive, but i was desperate at this point and said if it worked I would have paid double that. Hope you get sorted but always have Richard at the back of your mind if you don't get sorted

Myloubylou

Visit site
Following with interest as my sec d does this. She’s fine at home & will load if another horse is already on away from home. Also plants & goes off ramp. Makes it harder to practice as doesn’t have issue at yard. She goes part way on & then pulls back. I have dually on but haven’t tried longer rope yet.