Loading issue

Britestar

Visit site
Well actually not loading as such, as he's perfectly happy to go in, I just can't get him to stay in happily.

Background briefly, was an ok traveller, but last May threw a hissy fit after being left for 15 mins on the box, resulting in him over the breastbar and luckily not badly hurt, but plenty bruising. Trailer not so lucky and was in hospital for 6 weeks!

Anyway, trailer home and we start trying to reintroduce him to it.

He's happy to go in, but as soon as he is there, his anxiety levels soar, and he wants out. Most of the time I can stop him but if he's going, then he's going and nothing will stop him. I have tied him up a few times, but he starts hopping from foot to foot, almost piaffe. I'm reluctant to push it further, in case he's goes over again.

He will take treats whilst in there, but in a snatchy, gimme it so I can leave kind of way. Repeated loading and unloading actually makes him worse, and he become more and more anxious. One day I could feel his heartbeat through the ramp! As soon as he's off the trailer, he's back to normal, and will turn around and go straight back in, to start the whole thing again. Even if he leaps off in a panic, he'll stop, turn around and reload.

Eight months later we're still in the same situation. I don't have a school, so hacking is our only option, and its getting kinda boring.

He's a highly strung kind of guy anyway. Currently on treatment for Duodenal ulcers, and is on a calmer too (has been for years).

Trailer is an Equitrek, Showtrekka L so plenty of room. Changing transport is not an option.

Any suggestions?

canteron

Visit site
I know that he already has 'lots of room' but try taking the partition out completely and see if that changes everything - this is what I needed to do for my horse.

I have a trailer camera so can see what is happening in the trailer and although technically it looked as if she had enough room, somehow she just needed the extra room to give her the confidence to travel happily. Try it and see and if it works then you can take it from there.

After lots of 'experts' helping me with loading, I got this hint from HHO years ago, and it worked like magic, so worth a shot?

be positive

Visit site
Has the trailer now been adapted to prevent him going over again as that alteration may be making him feel trapped, if no changes have been made I would be so concerned about him getting over I am not sure I would even be trying to load and would be looking into other options which you say is not going to be an option.

On a more practical note a mirror may help him relax as may loading him in the wrong way for a while so he faces forward, if there is room, that way he will only have a wall facing him rather than the breastbar, it isn't probably an option for traveling as the weight will be unstable but may help with him accepting standing in there. I have often loaded tricky ones up the side ramp of an Ifor to make getting off easier and it has helped reduce the rushing down the angled front ramp, obviously not the same as yours but sometimes doing the opposite to what they expect can really help break bad habits.

Carlosmum

Visit site
My boy sounds very similar to yours. Loaded & travelled happily in the Ifor, until the trailer stopped & then started banging and fussing. He never got to the point of jumping out but would barge out through the side ramp regardless of anyone in the way at the bottom. So I bought an Equitrek, thinking he would have more room to come out & the rushing would cease, well in 18 months he never went in far enough to get the side ramp up. despite working with an IH RA. The other pony too began to rush out of the Equitrek so I got rid of it ( thr trailer not the pony!)& returned to a regular trailer. Eventually the 'loading' re-established, Pony happy to travel but big boy now reverses out so I don't get mown down at the bottom.

ETA, you say you cant change trailer, have you tried a forward facing? Maybe he just doesn't like travelling backwards.

PorkChop

Visit site
Have you tried him with another horse already loaded?

You could try a calmer to see if it takes the edge off so that he might have time to settle a bit.

If you can afford it, then you could book a professional, who should be able to give you the skills to work through the problem.

Britestar

Visit site
The trailer has not yet been adapted, but does now have a quick release breast bar.

He's quite happy to go in, will stop halfway up the ramp when I ask both loading and unloading, its just when I want him to stand in 'position' he starts to create.

Tonight I tried a different method of, if you don't stand quietly then we'll unload and reload again immediately. I'm not kidding we did this about 50 times! Eventually he did stand and eat some hay a few times, but he uses any excuse to whip round and look about (crows flying past). He will also stand happily across the box, head out and gaze about, but I'm not keen on letting him do this as as soon as he's in, he turns and thats not helping either.

He's a big lad (16.3hh) so putting another horse first is not handy, but we are going to try that with his mum going in first.

Sadly a lorry is not possible unless I get a lottery win. I'm wondering if I might try valerian to take the edge off him, although I'm not keen on drugging him.

He's daft because I know once he realises its ok, he'll be fine with it. This is how he is with everything in his life - once you make a point he just goes - oh ok, lets get on with it. Grr

D66

Visit site
I'd sort the ulcers first. Horses can find travelling stressful even without obvious discomfort. Then feed omeprazole, ranitidine or chaff before travelling to avoid stomach pain.
Good luck.

Llanali

Visit site
I have no suggestions except trying another horse. I posted a little while ago, after my daughters pony began doing the same, having previously been fine. He jumped out over the breast bar of an I for and tried to jump out over the back ramp! He still loads fine, but I'm very nervous to close the ramps again. So sorry I'm not helpful, just wanted to off sympathy and company!!

Britestar

Visit site
I have no suggestions except trying another horse. I posted a little while ago, after my daughters pony began doing the same, having previously been fine. He jumped out over the breast bar of an I for and tried to jump out over the back ramp! He still loads fine, but I'm very nervous to close the ramps again. So sorry I'm not helpful, just wanted to off sympathy and company!!

I know just where you are!