Loading issues/ best vehicles for big horses?

AnnieM&M

Visit site
My 5yo is 17hh. He went fine in my 7.5 tonne lorry first few trips but now he has outgrown it (much more generous living than horse area so understandable). I've been borrowing a friends trailer (the biggest one Ifor williams do) which he went in fine at first and now getting progressively worse each outing. I dont know whether this is something that ive got to stay patient with and it will ride out, if he is just trying it on or if because of his size he genuinely is afraid because it is a tight fit? in all other ways he is a genuine horse and not stubborn so im worried im pushing him into something he really isn't comfortable with.
Does anyone know what vehicles are best for big horses, most room? Or good tricks to get him into trailer/ make it more comfortable for him?
I have brought him on to event so really want to be able to get him out so we can both enjoy ourselves!
Once he is in lorry or trailer hes fine, just stomps a little when you stop.
Any advice would be much appreciated, i feel like he's all dressed up with nowhere to go!
Thanks in advance

LynH

Visit site
I have a Wessex Olympian trailer and my 17hh ID mare who is quite long in the neck and body has plenty of room both width and length. I find it easier to load her if she is allowed to walk onto the ramp and pause to relax and drop her head before walking in. Dropping her head seems to give her more headroom for that first step inside. She does struggle with rear load lorries as she is too long to turn onto a herringbone layout inside. Side ramp lorries are much easier as the length if each stall is much bigger than herringbone.

millitiger

Visit site
My 18.1hh horse fits easily into the Ifor Williams 510 so it doesn't sound like it is just his size causing the issue tbh.

Have you tried him in the trailer without a partition; all of mine have been happier travelling without.
Make sure your front ramp is down when you are loading so he can see all of the way through.

Is he ever claustrophobic in the stable etc?

My little mare had an issue with the trailer when we first got it but I spent a few session just walking her through; if she didn't want to go on, there was no fight but her attention was kept forward and it was made clear (nicely!) that there was no other option.
She also preferred me to be well out of the way so I would be up by the breastbar while she was coming up the ramp.

After a few weeks of taking a moment or two at the bottom of the ramp, she got better and better and now loads brilliantly with me by her head.

seabsicuit2

Visit site
I think that Ifor Williams are the worse of all the trailers for giving a bumpy rocky ride which a lot of horses just won't accept- I think that richardson trailers are a lot smoother?