Loading problems- are they ever solved?

cornwallexracers

Visit site
As the title really, horse used to travel fine, just before Christmas started being a knob to load, no rhyme or reason for it.

A month ago got a fab monty Roberts RA down who had him loading like a dream in no time. For the last month he's literally been trotting up the ramp no problem at all. This week loaded on Tuesday and he momentarily hesitated then loaded, Thursday took 5 minutes on the ramp then loaded. Today he's back in knob mode and took 40 minutes to load. Everyone else seems to have had an RA out and never had another moments trouble, but this is typical of my luck with horses tbh.

So really just wondering if I'm alone in this (horse in question is quite *special), if others have had a bit more problematic time with loading problems as well, or whether I should just give up bloody horses altogether, which this morning seems like the best bet!

Should add the RA is coming back out but unless she's happy to be there to load for every lesson or competition we're up the Creek at the moment.

Hot choc and biccies on offer to anyone who can help (still a bit early for the wine, although I am tempted!)

Theocat

Visit site
What did you do on Thursday when he took a few minutes to load? I got mine loading well with lots of repetition and reward; if he has a dodgy loading day I'll immediately throw in a few repetitions again just to 'recalibrate' him. Did the RA give advice on ongoing training?

cornwallexracers

Visit site
We've been doing groundwork each time and then loading and unloading in different places around the yard at different times, varying between 2-5 repetitions each time, and doing this pretty much every other day which is what the RA recommended. Since she visited a month ago he must have loaded over 100 times absolutely perfectly, just for some reason this week he's away with the fairies again and I'm at a total loss with him.

micki

Visit site
My old girl can be a ****** to load sometimes, sometimes she will walk straight on. If i know i have to take her somewhere i will spend a day just loading up with her to remind her what it is all about. I don't think she will ever be ab easy loader.

DD265

Visit site
Is he physically OK? Sometimes travelling can make a horse feel any aches and pains more which would understandably put them off loading the next trip.

cornwallexracers

Visit site
Yes, physically he's fine. He is seen regularly by vet, farrier, saddler and physio all are happy with him (I'm one of these people who is insistent with regular maintenance checks) and he has no other issues, happy ridden at home in the school and out hacking. His only issue is that his mind is everywhere else than where it should be most of the time. Just turns into a P.I.T.A when presented with the box.

muckypony

Visit site
My boy is similar. Sometimes he hesitates and takes a while sometimes he's straight up. I've come to the conclusion that he will always be tricky, but he is superb at his 'job' so for me it doesn't matter, if he were naughty to ride and never did well at comps, I'd think differently.

Dry Rot

Visit site
Just a couple of general observations. Sometimes the reward should be proportional to the task. What I mean here is that occasionally being excessively generous and indulgent can pay off. So, when he does load, give a generous bowl of hard feed occasionally rather than a quick scratch or a single Polo.

Second, give these extra rewards periodically but not every time. I'd start with making them routine, then gradually cut them down.

The psychology works for other species (so why not horses?) and indeed humans. The shop that offers occasional reduced prices and special offers will attract more customers than those who have the same old prices every time.

Just an idea and it may not work, but what will it cost you to try?

Caramac71

Visit site
We have a mare that loaded fine when we first got her but then gradually got worse and worse. Got an RA out in November who got her loading like a dream. Have carried on with the groundwork / loading regime that she advised. Our horse will still challenge it from time to time, but my daughter now has the knowledge and confidence of what to do and (touch wood) it only takes a few minutes of backing her up and getting her listening before she walks up the ramp.

I notice you say your horse spent 5 minutes on the ramp. The way our RA taught us was not to allow her to hesitate on the ramp at all. If she doesn't walk up it then we work her backwards and get her listening.

Joyous70

Visit site
Im having similar issues with my girl.

She had been away to have loading issues dealt with, came back was loading o.k., then it all got left over winter as I wasn't going anywhere. Then a few months ago started loading and travelling again, first couple of trips travelled really well, then when it came to the crunch (had a clinic booked) she refused point blank to load, and I have been trying for 2-3 weeks to solve the issue myself, she's going on the trailer but not being shut in at the moment, that will follow.

What i have learnt with her over the last few weeks, is keep calm, be firm and persevere, she also will hesitate and stand on the ramp, and I have discovered that if you let her just stand there she will switch off you can actually see it in her eyes, she is far better being backed off the ramp, tapped gently with a schooling whip if necessary to make her move over or forward, i use a quarter loop around her back end, but she has realised she doesn't HAVE to move her back legs, so if that fails this is where the gentle tap whith the whip comes in, she doesn't like it and will cow kick in temper, but it does have the desired effect of making her move in the direction i want, and before anyone jumps on me, I do not use it to smack her with, it is merely an extension of my arm, and a gentle tap

Sukistokes2

Visit site
IMO ......No

I think that there is alway the tendancy for the horse to backslide. My horse did and it was just a matter of reinforcing the training and keeping it fresh in his mind. Usually it occured at least once a year ,usually in the spring when he was feeling good. Once we worked through it he was usually good for most of the year. I always rewared my horse with something nice when he was loaded.
I am currently having the opposite problem with my young horse ....... he is too keen to load and has taken to flattening me on the way up........hay ho, not sure which is the worst really!!! :)

OWLIE185

Visit site
No offence meant but..........................
Have you tried your horse with a different lorry/trailer?
Have you tried your horse with a different driver?
Have you had the lorry/trailer checked? Are their any parts rattling? Does the floor feel insecure? Is the roof to low?
Has your driving been checked? Do you break too abruptly? Do you go round corners too fast?
Does the configuration of the stalls upset your horse.

Bernster

Visit site
Good points from Owlie to try and work out if there is another reason that can be addressed. But in my case my horse was a sticky loader when on his own (fine in company), and it took a few sessions over a series of weeks with an IH RA. She taught me how to load him but I needed to keep that up or I think he would have reverted back to being a bad loader. So you might just need more sessions, or top up sessions now and again, and lots of practice, particularly if you haven't been out and about lately. She also drove with me on one session which, now that I think of it, might have been to test my driving too !