Loading Problems!

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
I know there have been lots of posts about loading problems before, but please can someone help me.

I have got a 16.1 Suffolk Punch X and some days he will walk straight onto the lorry, and other days he won't. I really don't think that he is scared of it, he just decides he doesn't really want to go on and so doesn't. He will rear and spin and generally just use his strength against us. Sometimes he will play up going out and walk straight on to come home, other times, it is the other way round. The last sponsored ride we did, it took over an hour to get him on the lorry to come home. It has now got to the point that we don't take him out because of how he behaves.

Help please!

Tia

Visit site
Feed him in there every day.....generally combats this problem, however it sounds like this mucking around is just a symptom and not the cause.

Maybe I am wrong but it sounds to me that he knows he is bigger and stronger than you and he can do whatever he likes. I would give him a "come-to-jesus" - put him on a strict routine where if he doesn't do what you ask, then you make him do it repetitively until he tires of it and just resigns himself to be compliant.

OWLIE185

Visit site
You need to feed him twice a day every day for two months in your lorry so that the whole thing becomes automatic for him and you

TheresaW

www.justgiving.com
Just saw your post, there is some good advice there. Sorry your day was ruined though!
frown.gif

Tia, yes I think he does use his strength against us when it comes to loading. Luckily it is the only time he seems to use it though.

Can try feeding him on the lorry and see what happens, although tempting him on with food seems to have no effect at all.

josephinebutter2

Visit site
Can only give you my experience, but spent ages with my new young horse who had only travelled once before going on and off the lorry and had no probs - until

Went to a dressage show and was dark on the way home and forgot to leave his light on in the trailer. Went to go hunting next morning and yard was mega busy - only place to park was in the middle of the yard, then as I walked up to the ramp, a tractor came up and changed it's head right behind us.

He was then a bugger to load, loads of people hovered round - as they do - making matters worse and he was eventually forced on. He decided after all that that loading was not for him and have had problems ever since.

I spent the following week after this, every evening when the yard was quiet, putting him on a lunge line and just sitting in the trailer reading a mag or something with a bucket of food next to me and let his curiosity and belly get the better of him.

20 mins later he was on and the rest of the week he ran up no problems.

Had problems on and off after this - basically when the yard was quiet and me on my own, always went straight up, but when it was busy, he became scared which he showed by rearing, being stubbon etc.

Now I have found if I load on my own with a lunge line round his bum, just to stop him running back, he goes on first time, every time (touch wood) and have slowly progressed to letting other people lead him, but am yet to try someone else standing behind him - he (justifiably) things they will try and force him.

Can load this way at busy shows now, just need to make sure that people don't come past as we do it.

Also found that removing the partition in the trailer really helped. Got to the stage where I could load on my own with no rope, then went to a show and had to stay over, so had to put the partition back in and have needed the rope again after that.

But a least he goes on now.

My advice would be make sure he has some-one/thing behind him to stop him going back and be patient/non-confrontational. Practice every day and he will get over it.

Generally stubbon types need patience as they will always know a trick to get their own way, you have to make them think that it was their idea all along! A bit like men really!

More sensitive/flighty types tend to be easier as they are more inclined to run away from a smack on the bum and run up the ramp, where as a stubbon beast will be up for the fight!

Sorry about the long reply!

Salcey

Visit site
We have a mare which we believe to be suffolk punch x and guess what she was exactly the same, you never knew if she would go in or not. The main difference is that she did not react at all, she just used to stand with two feet on the ramp and a mule face on!! Feeding her in the trailer did not work as if she wanted too she would walk in and if she didn't want to she didn't! She wasn't scared just stubborn.
The only thing that worked was two lunge reins just above her hocks, once she realised we could make her go forward she gave up being stubborn and now just walks in. I make sure she sees the lunge reins laying by the ramp before we try her and (touch wood) she's loaded ever since.

TrecPeter

www.alwena.com
My wife's Welsh D cob mare HATES loading, the opposite of my horse who meekly walks straight in (that's a real pain if you're waiting to get somewhere). We've tried all the tricks including 2 tapes around the cob's rump, leading her directly straight through the Ifor following my horse with all doors fully open - unfortunately nothing worked the other day.
The mare is not frighted at all, just doesn't want to go into that horse box. We gave up after 6 hours of patience.

Another trick this sneaky 15.1h cob had up her sleeve on one occasion was to decide all in a second, OK I will go up the ramp, and then managed to squeeze under the front breast bar which was on it's lower position, and promptly straight out of the front ramp to freedom!
We watched with mouths gaping as the cob limboed under the bar and disappeared out of the front door. A miracle she didn't hurt herself.

Apart from that she's a wonderful Cob!!

Daffers

Visit site
Had the same prob with my mare, took us over 3 hours to load her when she came back from being out on loan. We started off where by every time she'd get a step on the ramp and not go any further, backed her off the ramp and few strides back, over time she gradually got bored of going backwards and decided the easier and most comfortable option was to go forward, at no point where broom handles or lunge lines used. 18 month later my horse walks in on her own, and travels well.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Practice a LOT at home. That's the only way! Try giving him his dinner in the lorry every night. Even if possible, tape off a small paddock with the lorry in the middle (all open) and put his hay etc. in it so he gets used to wondering in and out on his own.

If he uses his power against you (like ours did!) then buy one of those thin string type controller halters which tighten when you pull. Walk up the ramp, if he stops just keep pulling (dont turn and look at him), he'll probably fight for a second, as soon as he walks on the halter will loosen (his praise!). It worked a treat with our boy. He used to just stop on the top of the ramp to look at the view until he decided to come in - this halter, I just pull on it and he instantly walks forward again. I find its the best way as he rewards himself this way and also you dont get into a nasty fight smacking him etc. which isnt a nice experience.

We've also had success with a water bottle (one of those with the squirty caps), get someone behind to squirt it at his bum as he goes up the ramp (just as he's about to resist), it usually spooks them to go in!