Loan advice

parsley

Visit site
If I can't find a buyer for the pony I would like to put him on loan for a while. Please can anyone advise me as to the usuall way loans are agreed.

Are they usually a contract for a fixed period or entriely without a definate end date (just a notice period?)

Do you usually ask to see things like insurance documents?

How do you know if things like worming, teeth etc are done

do you keep them the passport or hand it over?

How easy have people found it to find loaners locally?

M

madabout2

Hi I am a loanee. I replied to an ad in H&H which mentioned the counties around where my owners live. The owners vetted me and the yard I was to keep the horse at. We used a variation of the contract on the BHS site. I pay all costs bar insurance and have the horse for a set period - while owner at uni. However we have an agreement that if I have qualified for any competitions after he is returned I can use him. The owner also has the right to ride and visit during uni holidays, but she doesn't come very often.

Any questions just ask.

parsley

Visit site
thanks! Do you have his passport and do you have to provide receipts etc for worming and teeth?

Who pays the excess on vets fees on your insurance?

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
Hey,

I loan out my horse.

I went down and vetted the yard, and met the Loanees friends etc. She is not what some would call local - 60ish miles away but its a BHS yard with a BE course and experience people so couldnt be better! And her cousin is an eventer so she has a good support system.
Mine is away for the fixed period of a year, with the option to extend once that is up, and either party must give a months notice UNLESS he is not being cared for properly then i can take him away there and then.
I pay for absolutley nothing for my boy, loanee has complete responsibility, even for new tack etc but she retains ownership of said equiptment.

It is in the loan agreement that if he is not insured, shoed, etc and something happens then SHE is liable for all costs, adn if he dies she owes me the full market value of the horse (if he is not insured, if he is injured as a result of her actions, or if injured whilst doing something not permitted in the loan agreement without my consent - but I am not a grouch and so as long as I know I say yes). Although Hunting is not in the agreement - styill wavering on that one.

I have not asked for the Insurance documents and I still have the passport (I still need it changed into my name!! ) So far no competitions have asked for her to produce the passport etc.

I trust her to worm etc as the yard is respectable and thee are horses there that compete quite highly.

Make sure you pick someone you get on with! I had a few come to see my boy, but I did not give him to the most experienced or best rider. He clicked with this girl - plus she was not put off when he barged out of his stable as he had been left in all day before she camt to see him! and she loved how he was cheeky (he shoved her mate off the only patch of grass in the school cos he was hungry - hehe). I think that she is very confident taking him as a 1st horse, if it was me I would have quit by now!

I dont automatically assume I get to ride when I see him, I ALWAYS ask. And when I do go see him I dont just jump in there as for this year he is hers.
I never show up unannounced (though a few times I have meant ot go and then had to cancel), always give at least 24 hours notice.
And I dont tell her what to do - ever. I may be like "well he did such and such better in this" but never "can you" or "you must".

How it all goes all depends on how 'picky' or highly strung about stuff you are. I am picky, but i have to get over it.