Loan dilemma

Willsmum

New User
Visit site
I'm in one of those 'staying awake at night' things at the moment over my pony. We put him out on loan as I wasn't riding (exams)- this was about 3 months ago. I now regret it and can see that once I start my job I will be able to do more than I expected. I feel bad giving the other people a month's notice, my BF suggested just buying another one (he will pay!) so not to upset people. I donlt think he really understands the bond which develops over 5 years!!
Has anyone elese experienced this - can appreciatwe the other side by the way! I asked 4 people today all had a diff reply!!!

ClareMc

Visit site
Did you have a minimum period for the loan? If not then I think it is OK to end the loan and give a months notice. If someone takes a horse on loan that is the risk they take, it is not theirs and they may have to return at any time. They have a similar right to return the pony to you.

I quite understand why you want the pony you have a bond wiht back rather than starting again.

susan_w

Visit site
How long did the family expect to have him for? If you've implied a long term loan, then they will be disappointed, but hey ho, they'll get over it. It's a risk you take when you loan.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Its your horse at the end of the day and if you dont have a loan agreement stating the length of the loan then i would ask for him back.

Like the others have said that is the risk you take when you take a horse on loan.

vicster

Visit site
I think if you are regreting it then you should ask for him back with a month's notice they will be upset at first but there are pletny of other horses out there for loan. But you need to make sure you are doing the right things as he you have your horse back and then realise it is too much hard when then he will have to go through that all again GOOD LUCK with whatever you decide though

meandmyself

Visit site
A month is pleanty of time- lots of people don't give that when leaving a job lol!

I'd write them a nice letter, thanking them for looking after him so well (if they have). Say whatever else you need to in that and give it to them when you bring him home.

Or you could offer them a share arrangment if that would work for you.

Willsmum

New User
Visit site
Thanks everyone - sorted! BF and I went to see Willow last nite and it turns out they are not getting on very well with him because the girl thinks he's too small (14hh chunky and she's only 12....). They already had a 14.2 jumping pony there on trial. So I think I had a preminition!