Loan fallen through again....And I still live in a different country.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Well, the beast has done it again. If you don't know the deal, I moved to the States and left the pony in the UK. Bad idea, but she is unsellable due to having had spavin. Anyway, found a novicey person, who loved her dearly. But...she is now randomly rearing. I have had back/teeth/vet out, and we can't find anything.

So, I have a little problem now. Any ideas? I think I may have to try and beg my mother for the money to ship her. She has never done it with me, she has gone through phases with various people of doing it, but eugh. Does she not know how good she has it?! Please, need to start tossing around some ideas, as don't think my mother is going to go for shipping a crippled, rearing pony. I mean, she is lovely, jumps anything, has tons of charactre, but sticks herfoot in it. Idiot!

hellspells

Visit site
Argh how fustrating for you. Do you have a friend in the UK still that could go and have a look for you and see how bad it is before you make the descion to ship her out?

Apalacia01

Visit site
My mother and I just spoke, and she is worried about the liability she would face on insurance. She is thinking possibly approaching a vet and saying she is unsafe to ride. So LOU and put down.

Yes, she does like me only. Never, ever tried it with me, and never felt unsafe.

I have had several reports that it is straight up - and she had done it with a previous loaner also - but when I got on, and tried to entice her to do it (stupid, but I needed proof) she didn't, and hasn't put a foot wrong.

Bugger.

ldlp111

Visit site
well i wouls say she is seeing how far she can push them to get back with you. hav you had her a long time?

Apalacia01

Visit site
I have had her since she was 3/4 - so 7 years. Ha, its like a jealous pony relationship! I don't know, maybe my mother has a point, and she should just be put down. She has done it with at least 5 people, some very experienced, others novicey.

ldlp111

Visit site
well have they given her straight back not peservered with her? has she been ridden by you for all that time and only now are you putting diff people on her? mares can be tricky creatures especially if shes intelligent.

Carys

Visit site
Re your post on LOU & put down - if it's behavioural & not due to an actual problem then LOU is not likely to be covered.
Sorry to be a pessimist but didn't want you to get too hooked on the idea.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Idlp111 - I totally believe that she is doing this, the woman is a novice, with a family and it is not worth her risk, so I totally understand. She has been being ridden by different people for about 4 years, and has reared from time to time with all.

Carys - yes, you are right. I am not bothered by the insurance pay out, I am more bothered that somehow if she injured someone, I would get done. I really don't know. I love her dearly, but I do not have the money to ship her. She would make a lovely broodmare, but I would worry about the weight on her legs.

BBH

Visit site
If I were you i'd look to give her to someone who is not novicy and prepared to put the time and energy into her, as she seems to be taking advantage of an inexperienced person.

I have never heard of a horse / pony literally just being ridden by one person, usually the tricky ones are fine once they know they can't get away with things.

The disadvantage she has is an owner who is away from the situation and has to go by hearsay as to whats happening.

IMO it doesn't sound like a PTS case.

Apalacia01

Visit site
Nail on the head there Bumpy Ride - I keep thinking maybe I should go over there, but, I just don't think there is any point as I know she will be fine with me.

Yeah, she just has it in her head that she can get away with it. I know horse's really don't distinguish that much between people....

It doesn't need to be a PTS case, and of course I don't want that, I am just worried she is going to injure someone. She needs someone very experienced, because one day she will be a lamb, the next a total pain.

BBH

Visit site
LOL I know what thats like, i've got one who is very inconsistent in his behaviour, but god luv him we're still together
grin.gif

Apalacia01

Visit site
She is an easy keeper, so a companion may work. E-mailing yard owner, who is going to advertise for a younger loaner, with experience etc.

I love her dearly but she is a royal pain, and eugh!

duckling

www.facebook.com
I'll sit when I'm home next week and see...
She reared once with me when I rode after the novice loaner had her for a while, was walked on firmly and hasn't threatened it since. I'm sorry, I wish I could take her but money's my issue
frown.gif

DuckToller

Visit site
How long before you are home? Rather than spend a small fortune on shipping her out (which doesn't sound like your mother would do anyway!) how about finding somewhere to turn her away until you get back?

Or if you are away for some time, could you put an honest ad on the Project Horse website? A horse rarely goes over backwards, and usually only if the rider is a novice and accidentally pulls them over, so if someone experienced took her on they would be able to deal with it better.

SpottedCat

Visit site
I would get her to a decent performance horse place like Willesley or Newmarket and have this investigated - if nothing is found then I think PTS would be safest simply because whilst she does not do it with you, if she does it with someone else and injures them, they could come after you. Companion/retirement is a nice idea, but always the risk with companion someone will try and get on her. If you can fund retirement livery that is the only other feasible option which is fair on other people and her I think.

It is a pain being on the other side of the world and dealing with loan issues, isn't it? I know how you feel!

Fizzimyst

www.catsprotection.co.uk
If you wrote up a contract stating the horse should not be ridden or something, maybe be a clause in it that if soemone did get on the horse and injured themselves you ould not be liable?

I dont quite know how it all works............but could that be a possibility?

xx

Apalacia01

Visit site
Spotted - my thoughts exactly. I do not want to be liable.

With regards to the contract, I think depending on what Duckling (my friend, excellent rider, Alice loves her!) says, I may try Project Horses, and then just chuck her out for a while. Then, once I have the silly money to ship her, I will do so. My mother is not happy about it at all, and is very worried about the insurance, if she was to go over on someone etc. She is a danger to herself and anyone who rides her at the moment.

Thanks for all your ideas. I will keep y'all posted.

nicnag

Visit site
The rearing could well belnked to the hock problem as mentioned before, my grey mare started rearing for no reason, full height all out rears, turned out to be related to her hocks and it was a physio that made the connection.

duckling

www.facebook.com
blush.gif
aw thankyou! I'm all embarassed now... I'll miss her when she goes!

I'll have a sit next week and prepare for the worst (don't worry, I won't hold you liable!) but I do wonder now if its the heavier weight on her back (both the loaners I've known her do this with are a fair bit heavier than both me and Apalacia) coupled with more novice riding thats p*ssing her off... It may also be the less consistent riding - when she was in regular work with me and you over the summer she was a star, and improved so much with her jumping and stuff.

Hmm... we'll sort something, I'm not giving up on her that easily
wink.gif
she's a good beastie really.