Loan horse going back for sale.. prices?

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I am giving my loan horse back and the owner has asked what i feel she should re-advertise her for.. its hard for me to give a price as im biased!

She was initially up for £2300, won In hand at county level, done xc schooling.
15.3hh 5yo. She is very green, undermuscled and finally now at a nice weight (after a lot of work my end). She is able to walk/trot/canter but is unbalanced and needs work (for example she doesnt know which is the correct leg to strike off on) She is a very very sweet little thing and is learning fast but is a typical mare and can be stubborn at times.
AMAZING to hack out- totally bombproof, she also cribs around 10% of the time as ive managed to decrease this with careful diet management.

To be honest, i havent a clue. My instructor reckons £750, my vet reckons £1000.. I said i would ask around because i havent a clue but i do know that £2300 is way overpriced so...

Help please?!

photo9.jpg

Last edited:

somethingorother

Visit site
I think 750 is very low, it would not bring the right sort of buyers. I reckon at least 1k, she's not very old and i don't want to sound harsh but maybe she would be more ballanced with a rider who was more ballanced themselves. I certainly think she could be quite nice, the basics are there and she's a sensible hack which always helps.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
She looks quite a nice thing, your instructor was a bit mean in her valuation, unless she is really dreadful in her paces and potential! Perhaps she wants to buy her!

I'd say £1000-1500 too.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
She looks quite a nice thing, your instructor was a bit mean in her valuation, unless she is really dreadful in her paces and potential! Perhaps she wants to buy her!

I'd say £1000-1500 too.

No shes got a nice set of paces and can jump, i just havent done any jumping with her personally.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I agree 1000 to tops 1500 but the bottom line is she cribs and the owner had better brace for the fact in the current market 750 is where it may come out.

micki

Visit site
As she crib then i wouldn'pay anymore than £1000 for her, even though she looks like she is a lovely horse. If she didn't crib then i would have said around £1500.

MissTyc

Visit site
I'd give you £750 for her unseen, so I reckon around here you could get £1500 easy ;)
... Where are you based? Prices vary quite a bit around the country.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
I also said £750, the reason for this being she's apparently been broken by a racehorse trainer - that's a lot of work to undo, she's unschooled, underweight, has vices, possibly has ulcers and has no breeding of which to speak (that you've mentioned anyway) she's not very well put together either and in south wales there is nowhere near the same market as elsewhere - so all in all you can get better out there for £1k.

OWLIE185

Visit site
Lovely markings although in photo looks long in the back. What are her markings like on the other side? If the horse is really bombproof and also spookproof and sensible at all times i.e. does not panik then despite the cribbing the horse could be ideal for someone that wants a sensible laid back plod.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Lovely markings although in photo looks long in the back. What are her markings like on the other side? If the horse is really bombproof and also spookproof and sensible at all times i.e. does not panik then despite the cribbing the horse could be ideal for someone that wants a sensible laid back plod.

Or even a sensible all round fun little horse.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
I can't get a photo up of her other side on my phone, they are similar she's very symmetrical all over. Photo isn't the best, she's not particulary long in the back- I should have used a better one really but this is the first one that shows her with some weight on.

lilly1

Visit site
If she really is amazing to hack, and by that I assume on her own / in company, ex traffic etc I would say £1800 / 2000. Nothing you have described would put me off. She is a good age, a good height and some would say a good colour too! If she did not crib she would be worth more.

EquestrianFairy

Visit site
All she's ever done is hack previously as owner doesn't have a school. The first proper schooling shes ever done is at mine and that's only been a few months.

SusieT

Visit site
I don't understand-bombproof hacks are hard to come by, often valued high. Her pros are she is young.
Is a mare
Has won in hand shows.
Has schooled
Not a bad height.
Cons
She's green (unless she's more than green?)
She hasn't got the worlds greatest confo by the looks of her, but then she has won in had so maybe thes ephotos are misleading?
She cribs

So without cribbing I think you could get up to 2K for her. with it-1500? Don't know why the prices are so low.