Loan question WWYD

maree t

Visit site
Sorry but this will be a long one.....
Had been keeping our ears open for a pony for loan for my daughter to do games on and perhaps hunt. She has outgrown her section a and needs the next one up.
Heard about one that had been on loan to someone in the PC and had gone back to the rescue centre. i phoned and arranged to go down and have a look at her. She was rather thin but this has been a long winter and she is 18 years old so thought it might be worth having her on trial (they have no facilities at all daughter rode her in the car park today !) I have then heard from other PC people and the previous loaner that she had quite severe colic earlier in the year . I have spoken to the people and asked who would be responsible for any vet bills during the trial. I was worried that as she is thin and laminitic that I would struggle to improve her condition without lots of changes which i was more than happy to do and slowly but with an added risk of colic. They deny that she has had colic since they have had her , so now what do I do ? We already have 5 forever ponies and am worried that we could end up with a large vet bill. She seemed a sweet pony but not sure we can take the risk. They were very defensive when I phoned to discuss and just said that as far as they were concerned she was fit and healthy so there should be no need for a vet bill. Am I being paranoid ? if they are that sure she didnt have colic and is fit and healthy perhaps they should be happy to cover colic bills just in case ? It is only while she is on trial that I am wanting this .

maree t

Visit site
They said as soon as I collected her the bills were mine. I just wanted a bit of protection while she was on trial. Feel sad but am concerned that I am not getting the whole truth. So sad there were a lot of ponies there, we could have looked after her well.

zoelouisem

Visit site
I wouldnt risk it. Imagine having to tell your daughter that you'd lost her pony to colic, its not worth it.
And if there not been honest about that what else are they lying about?

maree t

Visit site
Thanks, I know I need to walk away, I feel very sad but will be able to show my daughter this in the morning.
Anybody can just set up a rescue cant they , 41 horses and ponies on 7 acres .

Antw23uk

Visit site
Thanks, I know I need to walk away, I feel very sad but will be able to show my daughter this in the morning.
Anybody can just set up a rescue cant they , 41 horses and ponies on 7 acres .
Lets not use the word rescue ... Can use that in a few months when they are actually rescued! :mad:

Boxers

Visit site
I would leave it if I were you. I would say that as the loaner you would be responsible for all costs relating to the pony, vet, shors, worming etc etc. and you may find buying insurance difficult for a pony of that age.

Have you approached your local PC to see if there are any ponies available?

maree t

Visit site
well i spoke to them this morning. They are still insisting that she has never had colic. i cant get hold of the previous loaner so I said that in that case why would they not be prepared to cover the costs of any vets bills due to colic during the trial period only . They say that as she is fit and healthy they dont consider it necessary and the loaner should pay all bills. i said that I would once a contract was signed but that wouldnt be until after trial. They say she isnt underweight so I said sorry but i am not prepared to proceed then .
Feel very sad for that pony , stupid thing is they are now soley responsible for any vets bills anyway. They havent even got an outdoor rug for her !.
Will send them one i think so at least they can turn her out.

Polos Mum

Visit site
Def walk away, it doesn't sound like a big national charity so even if they write in the contract that they will cover colic costs - what in reality will happen is IF - she gets colic you'll phone your vets get it sorted then get a big bill, you'll go back to the 'charity' with the bill and they'll argue/ change their minds/ not talk to you!! and you'll be stuck with the bill.
Have a look at blue cross/ redwings or equivalant big proper charities - the blue cross deal includes them funding vacs, wormers for their loan horses so a very different approach.

unbalanced

Visit site
Wow when my pony went on loan I was so grateful to have a good loan home I paid her vets bills and shoes the whole six years she was away. And my pony is a schoolmaster who at the time had no health issues.
They don't know their luck OP. another vote for walking away. And how kind of you to send the rug.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Hmmm although I think they're being a bit shirty with you, if you like the pony otherwise then it might be worth persevering with. Treat her well and carefully and you will probably have no problems and you will have a lovely pony.

maree t

Visit site
The main problem in the south is that the big reputable charities wont rehome them this far. I understand why so seems a shame.
I am not going to take a chance not just because of finance but dont want a potential problem for my daughter to have to deal with. If they cant accept that she is underweight when you can see her ribs through her winter coat then what would they make of her if I do feed her to improve they said you have to keep the weight off because of laminitus but my two lami ponies do not look like that and dont have attacks. Too many doubts. i will go through my rugs and send them a waterproof for her as not feeling too good about not having her .
Will keep looking. Thanks for your advice

putasocinit

Visit site
Horse is in your care whilst on loan or not, same as hiring a rental car you take out insurance to cover any event of having an accident, if it was me i would have to cover the cost as the horse was in my care, duty of care.