Loaning a ‘sharp’ horse?

Lammy

Visit site
Really thinking of loaning out my boy. I’ve had him since a foal and even though I know him inside out I don’t think we’ve ever really ‘clicked’.

So I’m thinking he needs a new person someone who loves him and appreciates him. I would want to loan him initially as I do care for him and would worry about his future if I sold him straight away but equally would be open to selling him to his loaner after a period of time (not such a lwvtb but buying would be an option for the right person). I loaned out my old mare initially for 3 years before I bought her from her owner and kept her for another 7 years before she passed away so I know it can be done.

Trouble is I’m not sure if I’m likely to find him someone suitable as a loaner. He’s a 6 yo (rising 7) 16hh ISH and while 90% of the time he’s easy to do the other 10% of the time his brain will turn to mush and leak out of his ears and I’m left with this manic stressy idiot. The stresshead in him can be managed but it’s certainly not for a novice to handle. Ridden he’s very talented, can really move and really jump and again most of the time he won’t trouble you but he needs work and he needs structure. My instructor describes him as very busy and very clever. He is not a plod and is not a horse you can ride after a couple of weeks off and expect all four feet to stay on the ground.

Once these effing storms have passed he’ll crack on and do some serious work this spring and summer and I’m happy for a potential loaner to trial him and see how they get on but am I likely to find a capable rider who wants this “competition” type horse on loan?

rara007

Visit site
I’d think so! Very talented horses are out of a lot people’s budgets so the opportunity to bring something talented on should excite quite a few people. With the right yard and right rider sounds like he’ll be away. You might even find you quite enjoy being an owner!

Xtra

Visit site
you would definitely find someone. that's exactly what I am looking for just now as I have just paid off a huge vet bill. Just be very careful to fully vet any potentials for the correct experience with horses like him

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Your boy sounds similar to mine. He’s an advanced dressage horse, and can definitely have the odd warmblood moment! I initially took him on permanent loan when my youngster did her DDFT and had to be turned away for a year.

I didn’t have the funds to buy as every penny I had was going into vet bills so it was an ideal arrangement as I still had the opportunity to train and compete without having to struggle to find the purchase price. I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to buy him last summer and leapt at the chance.

I will forever be grateful to his former owner for entrusting him to me in what was an otherwise fairly bleak time in my horse owning life.

Abi90

Visit site
Something I would jump at the chance for. My mare is probably going to have to have a quiet life with her arthritis and after vets bills and paying for her I don’t have enough funds to buy something that I can carry on competing on.

Reading previous comments this seems like a similar situation to a few people

Lammy

Visit site
Thank you all for the replies feeling a bit more positive about it now. He’s still quite green as didn’t really start his education until this time last year but he’ll be a fab competition horse for someone.

Where would you look for/advertise a horse like this? Wary of putting it on fb as not sure I’d get many committed applicants. Although it would reach a broad audience I suppose.

Shay

Visit site
Echo that - try your local trainers / PC Branch. Also try "Right Horse Right Home" which is great for pairing horses with loaners.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
What about telling your local trusted trainers etc? They will know if there is anyone who might suit looking

This in spades! My boy wasn’t even being advertised. It was a chance chat my trainer had with his owner that led to me being given the opportunity.

lme

Visit site
I loaned mine out at 7. She was talented but quirky. She came home to retire at 30 and her loaner wrote her a lovely obituary when she was PTS at 33. The right home will be out there. Just be fussy.

ihatework

Visit site
I’m sure you will find a home.
I’d put the word around locally now and then if you haven’t found anyone it would be worth investing in a paid advert, horsequest usually good.

Annagain

Visit site
I'm seeing lots of wanted ads for this sort of horse on loan on the Eventing-UK facebook page. Might be worth joining and keeping an eye in case someone suitable posts.

Lammy

Visit site
Brilliant thanks all I’ll speak to my instructor and see if she knows anyone who is looking or might be in the near future and get the ball rolling...
I think he knows I’m talking about him as he was the sweetest, loveliest boy today, just to make my decision harder!