Loaning A Pony

CastleMouse

Visit site
I've been thinking of putting Castle on loan sometime next year, as I am outgrowing him and he could do so well in the right hands. It upsets me even thinking about loaning him out (I couldn't bare selling him
frown.gif
), but it's the best thing for him, as where I currently keep him we wouldn't have enough land for two horses/ponies. I have so many questions to ask about loaning him out, but the first one is, do you guys think I'm making the right decision?
frown.gif
I'd want him to go to a very good home, and we'd obviously have a written agreement. But can someone tell me what should be included in the agreement etc.?
Any help or advice is greatly appreciated
smile.gif

teapot

Visit site
The BHS website has a sample loan agreement I think. Might be worth having a nosy at that.

I think loaning can work really well if you make your views clear to the potential loanee

hug for you though, having to decide

helenandshadow

Visit site
yes i think you're making the right desision, even of it's a hard one
frown.gif

i've loaned many horses and it has always worked really well, just make sure, like you said, that you have a good written loan agreement
smile.gif

you need to include in the agreement:
-it's their responsibility to look after him properly
-what they have to pay for(livery, feed, bedding, shoes, insurance, vets bills etc.)-usually they pay for everything
-how much notice you or they have to give to end the loan-usually one month
-you can end the loan immediately if you feel they aren't looking after him properly
-he remains yours so they can't re-loan or sell him
-do they have to tell you if they want to move yards
-any restrictions on what you want them to do with him competing-wise
-list of things that go with him(tack, rugs etc.)
-in case of emergency they have pemission to have him pts following the vet's advice but they must try to contact you first(sorry i know that bit sounds morbid!)

there are more things than that but i can't think of them right now!!

Forget_Me_Not

Visit site
I was going to loan lmy old pony out but a woman at yard loaner her out when her chlidern out grew him and after that i reslised i would never loan a horse! I hate to say it but its a differnt type of people, care and respbility loaning a horse rather then buying one. I rode oscra who was loaning out for years and it really drumed into me what loaning can do :S

Ive just sold my pony and this sounds strange but its best thing that could of happen. She is at a amazing home, who are init for ever and really look after her they email me regulary and i have emotionly let go.

We as mothers like only how we look after horses if a horse is still yours little things will bug you!!

Just my veiw sorry if its not as postive as would be liked.

watcherathome

Visit site
I would suggest you loan out to a home that is close enough for you do spot checks, and that you ensure your pony is identifiable (freezemarked) before it goes

loobylu

Visit site
hi.
I have never loaned but have had various ponies/horses on loan in the past and I am currently looking for my next project.
As a response to the poster who has had some bad experiences of loaning, feel free to ask for references of the person/family you are loaning to. I was always more than happy to provide them (I asked PC instructors, my farrier and YO of the yard I work weekends on)and it actually reassured me that the pony was well looked after and cared for by its owner!
smile.gif

Defo get an agreement- I had an awful experience with sharing a pony without one, and do try not to loan him to too close a friend- its far harder to nip any problems in the bud believe me.
Good luck finding a lovely home for him whatever you decide- he looks a fab, sweet pony who will give a lucky person loads of confidence and fun.
laugh.gif

clipertyplop

Visit site
be very carefull, some people who take ponies on lone dont tend to take as much care of them as an ownerr would do, it maybe i have had bad experiances or heard of too many horror storys, ponies being broke and sent back,or sold on or worse!!!!!! think hard and long, maybe better selling on. i dissagree ith loneing but thats my opinion

SmokieJoe

Visit site
I heard that some people dont care for the horse as well, I dont know how people could be like that, i would give my left arm (or more) to have a horse.

I cant understand how someone could disrespect someones elses property like that. It spoils it for the rest of us that would treat the horse like it was china!

watcherathome

Visit site
I have owned horses and ponies for many years, but also had them on loan. I can tell you I was much more paranoid about the loaners than my own..the difference being that you have to account to somebody else for every decision.

There are some really dire tales (sold horses, neglect, contractual disagreements) but for every one of those there are happy horses in loan homes, much loved and cared for. It is just a question of putting the checks in place beforehand

SmokieJoe

Visit site
Agree watcherathome, a good loanee will not mind you doing checks etc, i would get references, go check the yard etc.

If i got one on loan i would only be too happy to let someone do that, it gives them piece of mind, etc. if the person has nothing to hide then they wont mind

SmokieJoe

Visit site
What height is castle, he looks lovely, give him to me lol, im only up the road in northern ireland.

Seriously though, i hope you do get a home were you have piece of mind - good luck xx

Tia

Visit site
I do agree with both trails of thought here. To find the perfect loan-home can take quite some time and often ends in disappointment for one or both parties.

Selling can also take a little while to find the perfect purchaser....however there are far more people looking to buy than to loan, so you should have the pick of the crop.

Small ponies are desirable particularly if they are well behaved and good for novice children.

You could advertise Castle as a loan with view to buy. That would give you the the widest audience as will attract purchasers AND people looking to loan.

sista_act

Visit site
we have loaned my old pony harry out to some friends in the pony club. WE really didn't want to seel him. The girl is 10 and potters around on him, he's out in the field eating all the time and i can go and ride him weneva i want!!Were all happy xxx