Loaning a rising 3 horse

SkyDancer1

Visit site
Hello horse lovers I am not sure what to do. I read here in the forum the advantages to loaning my mare but in this case she is not broken. I have a person in mind who may have her, a uoung lady whose Mum is horsey and they both could bring her on. They could loan her at my home but we may be moving so ultimately they may need to change yards with her. My question is what kinds of things should I beware of loaning her, do people write contracts? If so what sort of thing needs to go into a contract. In this situation I can understand the potential loaner will essentially be breaking her in and things could be tricky if I asked for her back one day….what do other loaner experienced people think?

Goldie's mum

Visit site
Hello horse lovers I am not sure what to do. I read here in the forum the advantages to loaning my mare but in this case she is not broken. I have a person in mind who may have her, a uoung lady whose Mum is horsey and they both could bring her on. They could loan her at my home but we may be moving so ultimately they may need to change yards with her. My question is what kinds of things should I beware of loaning her, do people write contracts? If so what sort of thing needs to go into a contract. In this situation I can understand the potential loaner will essentially be breaking her in and things could be tricky if I asked for her back one day….what do other loaner experienced people think?
BHS do standard forms.

94lunagem

Visit site
What are your long term intentions with your mare? I would sell, it sounds like you are hedging your bets somewhat? Unfortunately, once she is on loan you have to allow the loner to treat the horse as their own (within the terms of any agreement) and they might not be starting her off how you would want, if you want her back one day.

But to answer your question, whatever the loan situation is you need to agree tack and equipment, what the horse can and cannot be used for, any temperament quirks, any supplements/specific feed requirements, how often farrier/vet/physio/dentist is needed, who pays for what and if you require anything 'over and above' whether you will pay for it. Termination clauses on both sides. The BHS template is a good place to start.

SkyDancer1

Visit site
What are your long term intentions with your mare? I would sell, it sounds like you are hedging your bets somewhat? Unfortunately, once she is on loan you have to allow the loner to treat the horse as their own (within the terms of any agreement) and they might not be starting her off how you would want, if you want her back one day.

But to answer your question, whatever the loan situation is you need to agree tack and equipment, what the horse can and cannot be used for, any temperament quirks, any supplements/specific feed requirements, how often farrier/vet/physio/dentist is needed, who pays for what and if you require anything 'over and above' whether you will pay for it. Termination clauses on both sides. The BHS template is a good place to start.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I have a 3 year old, or I guess he's "rising" since his actual birthday is in May. I could not imagine loaning him out right now. He's at such a crucial stage is in his development. We're doing a lot of things that will help him transition into life as a ridden horse (will probably back him this summer). I also want to be the one that backs him, or at least have control over who does and be a part of the process.

I'd also feel weird taking him back later on. I mean, that's part of loaning and everyone involved should recognize that, but still.

If it were a money thing, then I'd either sell or find cheap grass livery and let him hang out for another year and reassess my situation then.

It's not impossible, it's just sort of an odd time for horse to go on loan. If all parties are comfortable with it and the prospect of him going back to you, then I guess that could alright, but there's just some lingering feeling I have about it.

SkyDancer1

Visit site
I am crying as I read this, thank you for your thoughtful answer. Long term my daughter or granddaughter (2yrold) may be in a position financially to havr her - maybe in 8 yrs or so. SkyDancer is homebred and was supposed to be a project fir my daughter and I as we r both horsey and she said she had been told she coild not have children as was recently married. Guess what? I now have two beautiful granddaughters and one 2 yr old mare 🤣🤣. I am praying there is a way to keep her….

SkyDancer1

Visit site
I have a 3 year old, or I guess he's "rising" since his actual birthday is in May. I could not imagine loaning him out right now. He's at such a crucial stage is in his development. We're doing a lot of things that will help him transition into life as a ridden horse (will probably back him this summer). I also want to be the one that backs him, or at least have control over who does and be a part of the process.

I'd also feel weird taking him back later on. I mean, that's part of loaning and everyone involved should recognize that, but still.

If it were a money thing, then I'd either sell or find cheap grass livery and let him hang out for another year and reassess my situation then.

It's not impossible, it's just sort of an odd time for horse to go on loan. If all parties are comfortable with it and the prospect of him going back to you, then I guess that could alright, but there's just some lingering feeling I have about it.

SkyDancer1

Visit site
Yes I understand your lingering feeling. I so much know what u r saying re: critical training at this stage snd I am loving working with her just now. I have considered finding that youngsters field but not sure after all the pampering and handling she has had with me, that would be good for her.

94lunagem

Visit site
I am a firm believer that you should have/buy the horse that you need now, not the horse that you might need in 2/4/6/8 years time.

I can totally understand you have a sentimental attachment to her though, especially being a homebred and your daughter's circumstances (although I'm delighted to hear you now have two beautiful grandchildren).

If I were in your shoes, I would look to find a home experienced with youngsters and sell, but be proud that I had bred her and given her a good grounding, and also that she will go on to (hopefully) be someone's dream partnership.

In 8 years, your grandchildren are more likely to want a slightly older, fluffy and safe pony!

Highmileagecob

Visit site
If she goes on loan, possibly it needs spelling out that this is to assist you with breaking and bringing on, and one day she will come home. Keep in contact through visits and social media and make sure she is identifiable in some way, freeze brand, microchip etc.. We have four loaned horses on our yard; owner of two of them rocks up once a year with a new contract, and the other two are never visited or contacted.

Equi

Visit site
Do you have any idea how competent the people are? You could be sending her away to be broken in the wrong sense and then you’re left with an older horse who’s badly broken that you have to spend a fortune on getting correctly broken.

SkyDancer1

Visit site
Do you have any idea how competent the people are? You could be sending her away to be broken in the wrong sense and then you’re left with an older horse who’s badly broken that you have to spend a fortune on getting correctly broken.
Yes..it seems the sensible thing will be to sell her, and best for her. 👍

TheMule

Visit site
I have taken on a couple of unbacked horses for people whose competitive riding days were over but they had nice young horses. Both on a loan basis, with the understanding that I had the ride long term and they could enjoy being owners without the expense. It worked very well, both owners really enjoyed watching their horses being produced and had a few fun eventing seasons.
You just need to find someone that you trust

Caol Ila

Visit site
Nice mare, but does your daughter want a horse in eight years?

And who knows if your 2yr old granddaughter will even be interested in horses. Kids don’t always do what their parents want.

That says, if you had offered me me a loan horse two years ago to back and produce while I waited for my own youngster to grow up, I might have taken you up on that. But then I’d be telling you, you need to take your horse back now because I have two in full work and it’s not easy.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I am going to be blunt, so please bear with me.

Either sell your 3yo now as "ready for backing" (if you've put in the necessary groundwork and she in fact IS ready); or send her away for backing (or do it yourself if you are are able) and then you could be in the position of advertising her as "professionally backed (if that is the case) and riding-on".

But most people with a cynical mind (like me) would hesitate to take on a horse like this on loan - simply because they wouldn't be sure that they'd be putting in a lot of work on someone else's horse - only for the owner to rock-up when the horse is riding-on nicely and beginning to do well at say 5yo, and then say well thanks a lot for all the hard work but I want my horse back now. It happens.