Loaning...how does it work?

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
I have been offered a horse on long term loan. That's all I know at the moment
confused.gif
as other people are getting the info for me.

Having never loaned a horse longterm before what is the usual expectations/advantages/pitfalls?

What sorts of things do I need to clarify with the owners? If I had the horse for say ten years and it suddenly became unrideable for some reason what happens then?

I am seriously interested but just not sure how it works.

Divasmum

Visit site
It really varies depending on the contract you have with the owners. However you need to make sure all aspects are covered including who insures the horse, wear and tear on tack, what the horse is allowed to be used for etc. Good luck and enjoy.

Dizzykizzy

Visit site
I have experience on both sides as a loaner and a loanee.
I would say as both to protect yourselves as much as possible use a proper loan agreement and if you really want to be sure it will hold up then get it drawn up by a solicitor.
Some will tell you that the BHS one is not worth the paper it is written on......
The horse I loaned for 2 years was taken off me suddenly. I had no warning and no agreement, one day I had him the next day I didn't. It nearly broke my heart and I was angry as I had just paid for his shoes, vaccinations and the chiropractor, it was the end of a long hard winter and I was looking forward to getting him out competing again in the summer.
As a loaner I have had 3 bad experiences now so I will never loan another horse as long as I live!

If you had the horse for 10 years and it became unrideable as an owner I would hope you would take responsibility for its care. Your owners may want to have the horse back to retire, you need to have it in writing!

Hope it all works out, good luck!

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
Thanks so much for your replies ladies. I am really a bit apprehensive about it, after having owned my own for a number of years I am wary of taking on someone elses and all the responsibilities that entails.
crazy.gif
However loaning would be a good option in a lot of ways at the moment and I have been offered quite a few loans over the past couple of weeks. At first I was very anti but as my grief has died down a little bit I am trying to think a little clearer.
smirk.gif

DizzyKizzy your sort of situation is one that I dread and so unfair on you after all your hard work and expenses
mad.gif

Of course if I had had the horse for so many years and it was unwell etc then I would certainly look after it, but just wondered out loud really, what happens when/if they could not be used for purpose and you had loaned them for a good while/ short time what the procedure was.

Agggh descions descions!
confused.gif
smirk.gif

Suppose I need to see the horse first though and speak to the owners
smirk.gif

I'll keep you posted
smile.gif

Booboos

Visit site
Using a contract is a good idea as it will prompt you and the owner to answer all sorts of questions you may not have thought about before - for that reason I think contracts are worth writing up.

As for owners taking back horses with no warning, unfortunately it is their horse and they can do that in a loan, at the same time you can return the horse at any time you want as well.

lauraandjack

Visit site
Like DizzyKizzy I had a disasterous loan experience and would not do it again in a hurry! I loaned a horse from a fairly nutty woman who did not make much contact other than texting and never came to see the horse in the 5 months I had him.

Then out of the blue she texted (not phoned, which I thought was really rude) to say she wanted him back and could she pick him up in the morning. Well I told her where to get off as I had to go to work, so she had to come in the evening instead. The worst part is, despite "wanting the horse back so she could ride him again" she sold him about 2 months later.

Fair enough for owners to take their horses back without warning, but to give less than 24 hours notice, by text message, is just plain rude (and I did get on well with the owner beforehand).

Maybe try to get to know the owner a little before you decide whether to loan or not? Avoid nutters like the plague! And do make sure you agree between you who is responsible for what costs.

guisbrogal

community.webshots.com
BooBoos I would definitely have a contract drawn up after some of the stories I have heard
frown.gif
Hoping to hear something tomorrow and then go and speak to them.

I appreciate that the giving back works both ways but a little common decency does seem to be in order really I think.

PS apologies for my early spelling of decisions...I am very embarrassed to have managed to spell it incorrectly TWICE!

Boxers

Visit site
Well years ago I loaned out my mare and after they had had her for 2 years she started to go intermittently lame. THey returned her to me and I was happy to have her back as they were unable to do what they wanted to do with her. I didn't expect them to keep her when they could not ride her.

I now have a horse on loan and we used the BHS contract. The owner can collect him any time she wants but I have to give her 30 days notice to return him.