Loaning out a KWPN mare as broodmare?

est-1978

Visit site
Hi All

I'm just after a bit of advice. I have a beautiful 11 year old KWPN mare who is up for sale (on H&H site) as a riding horse but she would make an equally good broodmare (she has already bred one foal in Holland who has been kept as a sports horse)

I was thinking if she doesn't sell whether to consider loaning her out (or possibly selling her) as a broodmare as I cant afford to keep two horses at livery and I really want to buy a 'been there & done that' gelding to compete on as I just don't have the time to bring my mare on to her full riding potential but am very reluctant about selling her and don't want her either getting into the wrong hands or being sold on multiple times (she is the sweetest horse but not a novice ride and needs someone quiet but confident).

So really just wondering what the deal is when you loan out a broodmare and what sort of mares people are looking for.

She is from good show jumping lines (Sire is No Limit who is by Indoctro).

She is chipped and registered with the KWPN and I have been in touch with her breeder. I need to get her Pink papers reissued if she was to go out as a broodmare as these have been lost along the way.

So I am just looking at options really if the right person doesn't come along offering her an experienced riding home.

Has anyone loaned out a mare successfully as a broodmare?

Thanks
Alex

Spring Feather

Visit site
I'm not in the same country as you but leasing broodmares is quite common over here. One of the mares who lives on my farm was leased out last year and has just foaled for the person leasing the mare. Another of my clients has leased a broodmare for this season and the mare was confirmed pregnant a month ago. The ones I'm involved in are free leases so no payment is made to the owners but all livery and regular horse bills are paid by the person leasing the mare and they keep the mare until weaning of the resulting foal. The other thing that is often done over here is something called custom foals whereby the owner keeps the mare and breeds to the buyers choice of stallion. There is a fee that the buyer pays and that covers everything right up till the foal is weaned and heads on out to the buyers place. I don't know how common either of these are in the UK though.

crabbymare

Visit site
As she has been proved as a broodmare she would be of interest to a breeder but you would need to make your mind up pretty quickly for this season. if you wait a few more weeks and then start to advertise her as available time would be getting tight for this year if she did not take first time when you factor in getting the agreement sorted and then the breeder having her swabbed and inseminated as (and this is a generalisation) most sports horse breeders look at getting their foals born by the end of may so for that she would need to be in foal in the next 6 weeks.