Equine|Divine

Visit site
Hello,

I was thinking of loaning out my dartmoor (lead rein) and my miniature horse (BMHS) to affiliated show homes, but I have no idea how to work out the appropriate prices for either of them.

What do you charge or know that others may charge that is a fair price? Also, what arrangements is best e.i. full loan or part and to keep them on my current yard or not and other arrangements?

Additionally, what are the rules with loaning and showing?

The Fuzzy Furry

🦄 🦄
Visit site
It's already quite late in the season to be leasing, but I'd enquire with the relevant societies regarding temporary ownership for registration for championship qualifiers.
Usually a lease runs from the start of winter qualifiers for 6 months or so, or soon after xmas to end of summer season, the animals are usually pretty top line material and have proven excellent show record.

Loaning usually doesn't require any fees to be paid to the owner, except perhaps the animals insurance premiums.

Last edited:

Equine|Divine

Visit site
Thank you to everyone who has commented so far. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to change the title or edit the thread.

I didn't know there was a difference between loaning and leasing. Could someone lightly explain this to me?

Equine|Divine

Visit site
Hello,

I was thinking of loaning out my dartmoor (lead rein) and my miniature horse (BMHS) to affiliated show homes, but I have no idea how to work out the appropriate prices for either of them.

What do you charge or know that others may charge that is a fair price? Also, what arrangements is best e.i. full loan or part and to keep them on my current yard or not and other arrangements?

Additionally, what are the rules with loaning and showing?

*Lease not loan.

Equine|Divine

Visit site
It's already quite late in the season to be leasing, but I'd enquire with the relevant societies regarding temporary ownership for registration for championship qualifiers.
Usually a lease runs from the start of winter qualifiers for 6 months or so, or soon after xmas to end of summer season, the animals are usually pretty top line material and have proven excellent show record.

Loaning usually doesn't require any fees to be paid to the owner, except perhaps the animals insurance premiums.
Thank you:) Also, I just realised that you already explained the difference between lease and loan to me within your comment/message. Terribly sorry?

Bethy55Boo

Visit site
As previously said, I would ask the societies concerned on what the rules are.

Also, make sure you have a good contract/agreement done! The British Horse Society provide a good template that you can adjust to suit you and your situation.

As for prices? I'm not sure. As also previously said, loan would be free and the loaner may pay for the care of the pony.

I personally would be very hesitant to trust anyone with my precious ponies! There's so many disputes. People can be very nasty. I've known of many people having fallouts. The loaner/lessee can often act and feel as though they own the pony! So have a really good think before you make your final decision. Do you really need to loan or lease?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Just to add confusion to the situation, if you go for a part loan, people will often pay (usually a token amount, say £10 per day) on their days towards costs. If there are minimal jobs to do, and you are able to help with transport to shows etc, then you may find people willing to pay a bit more for the lead rein pony. People don't normally pay to part loan unridden horses, even if show quality.

This would also enable you to keep a bit more control over the situation.

However, in a part loan situation, you're more likely to get people who aren't so experienced, so it may not suit if you are looking for someone/a family to take your ponies out and get good results, and you may need to offer some support/advice.

Equine|Divine

Visit site
As previously said, I would ask the societies concerned on what the rules are.

Also, make sure you have a good contract/agreement done! The British Horse Society provide a good template that you can adjust to suit you and your situation.

As for prices? I'm not sure. As also previously said, loan would be free and the loaner may pay for the care of the pony.

I personally would be very hesitant to trust anyone with my precious ponies! There's so many disputes. People can be very nasty. I've known of many people having fallouts. The loaner/lessee can often act and feel as though they own the pony! So have a really good think before you make your final decision. Do you really need to loan or lease?

Thank you :)

Don't worry. I will definitely get a contract done.

Also, I'll have a really good think on it all. I do always worry about what could potentially go wrong:confused:

Equine|Divine

Visit site
Just to add confusion to the situation, if you go for a part loan, people will often pay (usually a token amount, say £10 per day) on their days towards costs. If there are minimal jobs to do, and you are able to help with transport to shows etc, then you may find people willing to pay a bit more for the lead rein pony. People don't normally pay to part loan unridden horses, even if show quality.

This would also enable you to keep a bit more control over the situation.

However, in a part loan situation, you're more likely to get people who aren't so experienced, so it may not suit if you are looking for someone/a family to take your ponies out and get good results, and you may need to offer some support/advice.

Thank you:)

Oh gosh. I never thought of that. I don't really want less experienced people for the fear of them undoing my work. It's taken me a while to ensure my dartmoor is well enough schooled to stay in an outline whilst carrying a little one aboard. I'd really like someone to enjoy them without me having to even consider selling as I'd love to keep them both, especially my Dartmoor incase I ever have children in the future.