Loaning VS having a ‘helper’

BAMyers

New User
Visit site
Hello

I am new to this forum and just wondered people’s opinions on a little issue I have right now.

I have 5 horses and winter is hard work. I work full time too. I recently advertised for a part loan/help wanted with 2 of the horses who don’t get enough work. I have found a lovely girl who ticks all the boxes for an ideal loaner. However she is very short of cash and cannot afford to contribute what we were initially asking for (£25-30pw). Now I really would like the help but I’m not sure I can justify letting her ride for free. Would it be acceptable to suggest she mucks out 2-3 stables a day in order to ride?

Wanting honest opinions/experiences of loaning/work for rides.

Thanks

Tarragon

Visit site
I used to help at a Hunter Livery yard, where all the horses were on full livery, by exercising their horses for them. I didn't own my own horse then and i just wanted to ride. I had worked at racing stables when I was younger so was capable.
I would turn up and they would have the first one saddled up and ready for me, and when i got back they would have a second one lined up. Sometimes I would ride and lead so ended up exercising 4 horses in my two hour slot.
It was a lovely mutually beneficial arrangement. I got to ride some beautiful horses and they had someone to exercise their horses which must have helped them enormously.
No money changed hands.
It depends what you are looking for. If you need financial help more than help exercising then you will have to keep looking. If you want help with chores then you could ask if she would help out but bear in mind you then might lose her as a useful rider! If you want help with exercising the horses then she sounds ideal; it doesn't take too long to muck out 2-3 stables and is presumably what you are already doing.

cauda equina

Visit site
In your OP it sounded as if the horses not getting enough work was the main reason for looking for a helper

If the girl is suitable in all other ways apart from being hard up I don't see the problem; she would be exercising your horses, a job you need doing, why should she pay to work for you?

Pippity

Visit site
Why are you looking for a part-loaner?

If it's because you want/need a financial contribution and are offering riding in return, then pass on this girl. (Unless her doing chores would save you money on livery.)

If it's because you want/need help with chores, and are offering riding in return, then it's perfectly okay to suggest she mucks out in return.

If it's because you want somebody to work your horses, well, she's doing exactly what you want, and you're both benefitting from the arrangement.

I think asking her to muck out horses other than the one(s) she's riding is pushing it a bit, though.

ihatework

Visit site
These situations are always unique to the circumstances of both the owner and the sharer/loaner.

Generally the more experienced the sharer in terms of riding and horse care ability, the lower the cash investment and to some extent the chore time as well. Balanced by the better the horse and facilities/available to sharer the more they might be expected to contribute.

At the end of the day you will have to balance up what it is worth to you to have your horses done, bear in mind how much it would cost to bring in a freelancer to muck out 3 stables and ride a horse....

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It always depends what is more important to you and them. If they are experienced and competent to take sole charge that would be enough for some people (I never charged my sharer, it meant more to me to have him hacked out twice a week in the limited daylight in winter months, and it meant I retained more control so if I wanted him for hunting on one of her usual days I didn't feel like I was short changing her!). She saved me £5 a week in getting in charges though ;).
some people would want that and assistance with chores and I would always be happy to do them.
to others the money is more important/necessary but then they might need to compromise on the ability of the person helping.

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I had a sharer and on days she rode she looked after both my horses (poo pick field, feed and in winter put hay out).
I would have no qualms in asking for 2-3 stables to be mucked out in return for riding and likewise if I was sharing, I would be happy to do that in exchange.

Highflinger

Visit site
If you were looking for £25-30 per week to share I think it would be reasonable if she did the equivalent of £25-£30 of "work" e.g 2 - 3 hours per week. If she rides twice per week and also did 1 -1.5 hours of work each time then I think that would be fair. I think al lot of people enjoy doing some of the work as well just be around horses and feel involved. You would be getting the horse exercised and some help and she gets "free" riding for doings some chores - seems a win win to me.

Annagain

Visit site
I've had several sharers over the years and the deal for each of them has been different, depending on my and their circumstances. In the early days I had a new house with a hefty mortgage so needed some sort of contribution. As I've got promoted and earned more, the money's less important but I have less time. One paid for shoes, two paid a set amount each month, one paid in kind by teaching me. She was from New Zealand, a dressage rider and qualified instructor who wanted a horsey fix. She was way too good for my nags but it suited us both and I saved a fortune on lessons! My current one doesn't pay anything but only works part time so does a lot of things like farrier visits etc for me. They've all mucked out a couple of days a week (in winter) regardless of whether they've paid or not. Establish what's most important for you. It sounds like you've found someone good so work out if the money's more important than that. If you resent her not paying, no matter how good she is, it won't work.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
as others have said , if you need the money then wait for the right person, if the main reason is you need the horses worked and this person is suitable then you are getting what you want from her. it seems to be a modern day thing to ask for money even if the person is helping you out, in my day a very long time ago, i used to excercise other peoples horses and they were so grateful they tried to pay me, ...i didnt take any money as i was enjoying riding their horses..they always gave me a lovely christmas present as a thankyou.....i would consider mucking out 3 horses to be the same as charging her to ride...personally if she rode my horses in the way i wanted and was reliable that would be enough for me. you may find she would like to help with other things. you could always ask her to clean the tack after riding rather than mucking out...