Local agricultural show - can I show an unregistered horse?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
Any input would be appreciated, I'm tearing myself up over this one.
crazy.gif
I'm looking at the schedule for Burwarton show and for the large ridden mountain and moorland class it states: 'All ponies in this section must be pure-bred and registered or eligible for registration in their respective society stud books.'

B, while very much eligible for registration as a Welsh Cob, is unregistered. Can I enter her in this class?

I'm looking at pictures from previous shows and she would not look at all out of place - I know I am biased but she is a good example of the breed! I'm just wondering if they'll send my entry back and say no.
blush.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
Most will so no but it depends if there wanting to make up on entry numbers.

Most classes that are run by the respective breed society, under their list of judges, will not permit unregistered ponies and I think the M&M breeds are more keen on it. If it clearly states on the rules then no, but it has been known for shows to bend the rules, so if in doubt ring the secretary.

However those that do, you may not get a breed society rosette or prize money etc.

Worth asking all the same as you may enter HC.

dsophiea

Visit site
hmm im not sure about that one, the last bit makes you wonder if she could be competed, have you tried ringing the organisers to see what they say?

QUICKFIRE

Visit site
'All ponies in this section must be pure-bred and registered or eligible for registration in their respective society stud books.'

This means I think, that if you know the the parentage of your horse and have the stud reg numbers, if the entry form is like the ones we have for our local agri-shows will ask for this, is there not a phone number you can ring to check?

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

However those that do, you may not get a breed society rosette or prize money etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

It does mention that they are affiliated with the Fell Pony Society and that there are special prizes and trophies for the best Fells in each class, for which entrants much produce their membership cards in the ring, but nothing about any other breeds specifically. I'm just puzzled a bit by the wording, if it didn't have the 'eligible for registration' bit it would be clear that it's a no, lol!
tongue.gif

I think I will have to ring the secretary and ask, but when I phoned up for the schedule she sounded like a bit of a dragon.
blush.gif
I'd be happy to go HC if it means we can go and get a bit of experience and have a nice day out.

0ldmare

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
or eligible for registration in their respective society stud books.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as long as you can prove (if challenged) that your horse *is eligible for registration* then you are absolutely entitled to compete there.

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
'All ponies in this section must be pure-bred and registered or eligible for registration in their respective society stud books.'

This means I think, that if you know the the parentage of your horse and have the stud reg numbers, if the entry form is like the ones we have for our local agri-shows will ask for this, is there not a phone number you can ring to check?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know her dam but not the sire, unfortunately, and I only found out about the dam by word of mouth. Not enough solid evidence to go on I think, and I've just made the mistake of looking at how much DNA testing and registration of older horses is with the WPCS, and that's out of the question!

I'm looking at the entry form now and there's nothing on the actual entry bit about sire or dam. There's a box for a society reg number, and it states 'relevant society registration numbers must be included for all affiliated classes'. The class I want to do says it is affiliated to the Fell Pony Society, but that's it.
crazy.gif
On the back of the entry form there's a little blurb you can fill in 'suitable for show day commentary' that can include the sire, dam and breeder.

I might have to brave the secretary on the phone.
blush.gif

Kenzo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does mention that they are affiliated with the Fell Pony Society and that there are special prizes and trophies for the best Fells in each class, for which entrants much produce their membership cards in the ring, but nothing about any other breeds specifically. I'm just puzzled a bit by the wording, if it didn't have the 'eligible for registration' bit it would be clear that it's a no, lol!
tongue.gif

I think I will have to ring the secretary and ask, but when I phoned up for the schedule she sounded like a bit of a dragon.
blush.gif
I'd be happy to go HC if it means we can go and get a bit of experience and have a nice day out.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL they usually are!, mind you 30 years of doing Agricultural shows is sure to take it's toll after while....I'd be the same!

Just ring and explain, or go one better and ring the Welsh Pony and Cob Society, some shows just copy the rules from breed societies entry forms to put in their own schedules and have their own rules, sorts the wheat from the chaff if you get what I mean.

smile.gif

Taffster

Visit site
It sounds like an affiliated class which means even though it is affiliated to the fell society the horses ponies competing must be registered - if you dont know the sire then she isnt eligible for registration either but could be registered partbred as far as i'm aware your best bet would be to contact the welsh cob society - they will tell you all about registration and are very helpful

Taffster

Visit site
Just checked the website for registration conditions you can get late registrations but these cannot be more than 4years old so it would seem even if you knew the ponies parents he/she would not be eligible for registration unless under 4years

blackcob

🖖
Visit site
There is one for over four years old, but it's £150 + mandatory DNA testing at extra cost!
blush.gif

Tried to ring the secretary but the line is engaged, will try again when I get back from riding this afternoon. Entries don't need to be in until end of June so got a bit of time to get in contact with them to ask.
smile.gif
I'll be very disappointed if we can't compete at all, even HC, because there's literally no other class there that she'd be eligible for except for fancy dress.
blush.gif

Annagain

Visit site
"I know I am biased but she is a good example of the breed!"

In that case, and if you're interested in showing would it be worth finding out about the cost of DNA testing? You've already said she can't enter any other classes and if you spread the cost (not literally but divide the cost by the number of years of fun you could then have showing her) you might decide that it's worth doing?

NicolaC

Visit site
I'm sorry but I would say no.

She isn't registered and she isn't eligible as you don't now who both her sire and dam are. Even if you got her DNA with her mum you still couldn't get her registered as a pure bred as they have to have both sire and dam.

So on both occasions she is eligible to enter. I hope I have explained that well enough.
laugh.gif