Local beach riding

k1nda_b0red

New User
Visit site
Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of any good beaches for riding (that I could take my horse to) within a few hours of London?

Thanks x

Skib

sites.google.com
OH and I rode on the beach at Studland Bay Dorset from the riding school there. However, that was some time ago and safety concerns seem now to limit their beach riding to the winter months. It seems similar in other riding schools near the seaside There is a big public car park at Studland and it is worth investigating.

If you are taking your own horse there is no alternative to searching local authority notices about when horses are allowed on beaches like Camber Sands and paying attention to tide tables. Looking at riding schools which offer beach rides in Sussex etc will also point you to beaches where horses are allowed.

I have ridden on beaches only when invited to join friends, or in USA when I had started learning and feared I might forget how to ride, if I went a whole month without sitting on a hrse.

Pics of horse riders on beaches conjure up a wonderful experience. When I have ridden on a beach it hasnt been such paradise. At Studland the breakwaters divide the beach into sections and I did not yet have the cantering skills to charge along the sand on a horse I didnt know.
In California long ago, OH and I found the beach where we rode Western was tiny and crowded with sun beds and people and umbrellas.
I suspect that the best time to ride on a beach is either very early in the morning or during the winter, when there are no holiday makers.

The Household Cavalry ride at Holkham which is a beautiful beach where OH and I have walked and I would love to ride but I had a look on line and it seems that holiday makers and horses may be segregated there and horse riding allowed only in the winter. The map shows there is a bridle path leading to the sands which avoids the footpath. But I didnt work out the practicalities, as OH asnd I are now too ancient to drive that far.