Local stray with kittens - thinking about adopting.

Lacuna

Visit site
Long story short - possible dog adoption has been put on hold for the time being. In the meantime a heavily preggers kitty turned up on our cul-de-sac, no body has claimed her and a local lady (experienced) has taken her in to foster her while she had the kittens. Had a video back from her first night with the fosterer having all on the cuddles on her bed so she is very grateful to have a warm place to live for the short term.

She has had 6 of them and all very cute (obs) - I've said I'll take mum if no one else would like her but I am also being tempted by at least one kitten. We have a current cat who is a very sociable 2yo female, has lived with others previously and seems to get on with the neighbours cats.

I'm just wondering if it is a daft idea to adopt mum and a kitten at the same time, whether this may make settling in more of an issue or cause other problems. We would obs neuter as soon as possible and just wondered whether anyone else has been in a similar situation?

There is no shortage of possible homes for the kittens so no problem if I didn't take one on.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I was in a similar position whereby a stray moved in with me and had 4 kittens. I kept Connie and one kitten and found homes for the other three. They were never a problem and my other cat accepted them both with open paws. Connie lived until she was 17 and Chester 15.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
We have had generations of cats, alongside 'individuals', the related ones always got on with each other but were not so close to the non-relatives. I don't remember any actual fights though, more just that they preferred to ignore each other, while the relatives would curl up together to sleep.
We had one female who developed asthma and didn't want to go out, her relatives always made sure that she was never on her own inside for long.

Denbob

Visit site
I work at an animal sanctuary (albeit not in the animal care side of things!) and we quite often rehome mother/daughter pairs with no issues. If anything having two together seems to make the settling a bit easier, although it does come down to the individual personalities.

Lacuna

Visit site
Glad to hear the positive responses. I think I may end up doing so, daughter is very keen on a new kitten and the mum has already got my soft spot.