Lock down/second winter/end of season weekend plans

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
I say second winter since it seems to be that way here!

I have a jumping lesson tomorrow and then this weekend we have the last event of the season.

it’s going to be cold and wet, and we are camping so will have to take all the wet weather gear. Usually we are sweltering but it’s cold instead!
Hopefully we have a good run and don’t get wet.

Have fun all, I hope you find something to do! Otherwise you can live vicariously, I can post lots of details ?

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I am lucky that we have an arena onsite and plenty of travelling instructors!

I am having a jumping lesson on Sunday. Up till now he has been my sale project and my 'learn to ride/back to basics' co-instructor. But he has been upgraded to my new potential event horse with Amber's retirement so I need to find my brave pants and crack on. Though I am still focusing on back to basics too.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I had a lesson this morning (yay for being on site) very simple concepts but very difficult in execution because it's Kira, of course! :p

so just homework for us really, plus a bit of foal wrangling and some housekeeping at the nursery paddock as we are starting to get used to being separated from mummy in preparation for weaning. so far, not very dramatic, Salty couldn't give 2 hoots but I need to get a grip because I feel TERRIBLE listening to Hera's little whinnies! :oops:

3 clips into the winter and properly pink now

125363416_3804564726221676_7809485018702397542_o.jpg

Roxylola

Visit site
We've really nailed medium trot out hacking and I have a lesson at my trainers on Saturday so I'm hoping to show it off a bit there. Canter transitions are lacking a bit atm but that could be the lack of actual schooling recently ?‍♀️ The canter itself seems to be getting more balanced, more 3 time and steadier. Hopefully that all translates well to the arena.
Sunday I think I'll be clipping/trimming.

Sprat

Visit site
We've really nailed medium trot out hacking and I have a lesson at my trainers on Saturday so I'm hoping to show it off a bit there. Canter transitions are lacking a bit atm but that could be the lack of actual schooling recently ?‍♀️ The canter itself seems to be getting more balanced, more 3 time and steadier. Hopefully that all translates well to the arena.
Sunday I think I'll be clipping/trimming.

I really need to crack on with the medium trot, we just tend to dribble along with no purpose!

Roxylola

Visit site
Taken most of a year! We've had enough for tests as there is clear lengthening, but he gets it now with a proper gear change. The dog walkers locally must think I'm bonkers squealing good boy good boy as this unit thunders along, but it's really clicked now

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
No arena here, could do with trying out in one for 15 mins or so daily, but will stick to hacking at present. (Not wanting to book a full session as dont think fit enough yet).
Mind you, it's a bit of a gloomy forecast for the weekend at present, and I need to negotiate Fri 13th tomorrow....
Have fun with your training those who have arenas, Accidental E good luck on Sunday!

Pippity

Visit site
It was meant to be hacking and loading practice, but instead I'm stuck at home waiting for the results of a covid test. I'm fairly hopeful it's just a cold but I've been in contact with people who tested positive and I don't want to risk infecting anybody else.

j1ffy

Visit site
Pippity - fingers crossed for a negative result
AE - enjoy your comp and camp! I hope you stay dry.

Not a lot here. I'll have a final sit on Chilli tomorrow then he'll be out for the winter. I rode him (my second sit on him) in the big arena yesterday with lots of firsts for him - we watched the YO's daughter jump (and fall off!) before going in, worked in a wide open space (60x40 arena) including around jumps, under floodlights, and with white boards. And it was very windy! He was great, very brave and we had a nice walk, trot and canter with just a couple of miscommunications about whether to walk forwards or backwards when I put my leg on ?

I'll do some schooling with Danny and work on our Dressage with Georgia activities - the HP one may be a bit beyond him but we'll give it a go, particularly as suppleness is on our homework list from lessons!! I'll try to get some video of him too so he doesn't feel left out ;)

Sprat

Visit site
It was meant to be hacking and loading practice, but instead I'm stuck at home waiting for the results of a covid test. I'm fairly hopeful it's just a cold but I've been in contact with people who tested positive and I don't want to risk infecting anybody else.

How rubbish for you. Fingers crossed your test comes back negative

Bernster

Visit site
Trying to look on the positive side of lock down as it gives me lots of time and space to spend quality time with the ponies, get to know the new loan horse better, get me and the big grey boy fitter and hopefully be ready for a few hunt outings post lock down.

So for this weekend it will be pottering about the yard (moved recently and so relieved to be in a place where I can relax and enjoy horsey time again) and exploring the local hacking. It is limited but there’s a wood we can get to so I will try and locate that route.

maya2008

Visit site
Coblet: continuing with this week’s walk to canter transitions and getting more energy/collection in a slower canter (mostly so we can keep it going while lead rein child trots next to us!).

NF pony: coming sound after injury - gentle work in straight lines to stop her galloping round the field like an idiot...

Arab x: lateral work and transitions to build the top line we lost ‘cos I let the kids ride her and didn’t keep an eye on it.

Shetland: her rider is having lessons to learn how to tack up solo. My son won’t listen to me and he is past old enough to do it himself!

All with no school! I have to say that schooling out hacking means the ponies see why. Better transitions stop you skidding in the mud, more collection in the canter means you can keep going even if it is perhaps more slowly than you would like... etc.

scats

Visit site
Pippity- I hope your test comes back negative and that you feel better soon.

I’m working Saturday but I have Sunday off. I don’t plan on doing much as I’m so tired and not getting much sleep as older dog seems to have got into a habit of getting up 3 times every night and as I’m the only light sleeper in the house, I’m the only one who hears her. I’m so tired as a result. Going to pop her to the vets early next week if it carries on, though I think it’s just become a bit of a habit.

dorsetladette

Visit site
Riding B in new to me saddle. Then mostly baby pony petting and another walk out in the forest for little Robin. He's a bit nippy and he tried kicking me while was straightening his rug yesterday morning. So we need to learn a few manners before he gets to big. I faff with my ponies while they are eating so he will just have to get used to it. Stroppy little b*gger at feed times he is.

Pippity fingers crossed for a negative result x

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
I had a private lesson at RS today which went quite well. Lots of sitting trot and no stirrups! I like riding a bigger horse for a change and feel like I just just dreamily canter round all day. :D

Then did my first sort of solo, but not really because my OH came on foot, hack with share horse. Share horse was very well behaved but I still felt a bit nervous. Annoying but still an achievement and we did have fun. His owner has said I can have a lesson on him so I am hoping that can happen this weekend (although the weather looks a bit poop!)

oldie48

Visit site
Rose has settled into her new (albeit temporary) home but has lost a little bit of weight as she prefers standing on her balcony watching the world go by rather than eating. I went up this evening and she was the only horse out again! The facilities at her new place are fab but we tried the hacking out today and it is a lot quieter than at home. It was great to be aboard! Sharer has a lesson with Peter Storr tomorrow, I think she will try a different hack on Saturday which goes past the dreaded pigs and she'll school on Sunday. I've had a sit in the school but am struggling to do more than a few minutes of trot so I might just do the cool down on sunday. Most frustrating! Pic is Rose on the balcony enjoying the view. She can walk out of her stable and be outside.FMEXnbYGaZKlnGv2LQFliygrxZWRHyJdo_cknd_Otg0qAVLdZqhKwuNaWqqlWNuJq-SACO_f2NhbqEZ0lSiiUllIovnRG8...jpg

still standing

Visit site
If the weather isn't too bad, I'm going to spend a bit of time getting horse to stand for mounting. She can and will do it well after shuffling a step sideways or backwards a couple of times, which is really annoying as I have to step down and move the mounting block. I'm not sure if angry voice or treats are the way to go... she can be a bit of a pushy madam if treats are offered.

Current motivation is to jump a fence before the end of the year - inspired by a previous thread on here about aims (once upon a time!) for 2020! Today's lesson involved a lot of canter over poles on the ground on both reins to build my confidence, as it is a long time since I last jumped, probably last year. So I feel there is a chance I might get there before December 31st!

Northern

Visit site
Had a great day today :)

Our third dressage outing ever, and it was HOT, easily the warmest it has been this spring so far. On a total of 3 hours sleep, it seems I remember my dressage tests better because no errors of course today.

Pleased to say L was super and we came away with two decent scores for two firsts in the pony class/two seconds overall. I've never won a dressage rosette before so that was a bit of a novelty for me! Really pleased that the improvement over the last month or so is reflected in our scores and comments. Now to just forever remind myself to maintain a more solid outside rein :cool:

What a cool pony she is, though tired by the end because of the heat. She was allowed a nice pick of clover as a reward :D

Obligatory fuzzy video still, of course :D

dress.JPG

Hope everyone else had a good weekend too!

Last edited:

Roxylola

Visit site
Hang on, I'm confused. There are competitions and camps on? I thought the UK was in lockdown??
England is in lockdown, but we are still able to go for training. Wales and Scotland I think are both now out of lockdown and can compete within a local area.
Northern (and at least 1 other) are on the other side of the world as evidenced by the "hot" weather and glorious blue skies (not jealous at all)