Locking stifle

Jaybugg

Visit site
Hey, just wondered if anyone had experience of this.
Youngster has it and vet seems confident it's just a growth spurt and will grow out of it.
Doing some leading out in hand and walking over poles and recently started long reining (rising 3yo) when weather permits.

Has anyone's horse/pony had locking stifles and grown out of it completely or does it still happen occasionally into adulthood?

Many thanks

be positive

Visit site
I had a NF that locked as a 3 year old, he gained muscle with working and never did it once in regular work at 4 , many just go through a stage and once built up are fine, I would continue to lightly work him and also ensure he gets a decent vit/min supplement.

Jaybugg

Visit site
Thanks for your reply be positive good to hear that your boy grew out of it.
Hopefully mine will be the same once in regular work when a bit older.

Currently feeding a cup of top spec cool balancer and a scoop of molliechop twice per day on top of 8-10 hours turnout on good (for winter anyways) grazing and adlib quality hay overnight.
I wonder if a stud mix / suregrow balancer would be better ?

Equi

Visit site
They do tend to grow out of it. I would not want to start him on mixes etc a balancer should be fine.

Just continue with what you are doing, and teach yourself some good general leg/body massage and stretch techniques to use before and after work.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Yes, it's quite common. I've had several that had locking stifles as 3 year olds and never again after that. Horses can have locking stifles that do not resolve, however, and I have one or two that needed an op to fix.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I had a Shetland who would lock horrendously at 18 months. When he came 3 years old I did lungeing and long reining and it stopped. Legs completely normal. He was also backed being as the job was nearly done, and went on to do pony rides at school!

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Another one that grew out of it here.

My vet told me that the operation is now contraindicated unless the horse would otherwise be PTS. It is known to cause issues later in the horse's career.

rara007

Visit site
There’s a new operation splitting the ligament (rather than the old cutting). If he’s not growing out of it I’d strongly reccomend it. Sub 1k a leg and has totally transformed ours. (We waited until 7 years old, did loads with shoeing and fitness but that didn’t resolve it totally).

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
There’s a new operation splitting the ligament (rather than the old cutting). If he’s not growing out of it I’d strongly reccomend it. Sub 1k a leg and has totally transformed ours. (We waited until 7 years old, did loads with shoeing and fitness but that didn’t resolve it totally).

Thanks, 👍. I should have made it clearer I was referring to the ligament cutting operation that used to be so common.

Your alternative has been around for a while, along with chemical scarring. You probably know that both are intended to scar the tendon to cause shortening. Mine would have been done at that age if he hadn't grown out of it. I'm glad it worked for yours.

Cocorules

Visit site
Mine had it as a youngster was always on 24/7 turnout and the fitter she was the less she locked. She last locked at age 8, but episodes reduced drastically from when I first had her at nearly 3.

sywell

Visit site
I had a NF that locked as a 3 year old, he gained muscle with working and never did it once in regular work at 4 , many just go through a stage and once built up are fine, I would continue to lightly work him and also ensure he gets a decent vit/min supplement.
I had a large gelding with this problem and he had a course of IRAP treatment with Sven Kold (how the spelling is correct) and we were advise to give plenty of uphill work. He went on to compete affiliated dressage with the problem.