London Low Emission Zone - Anyone Else Affected?

Ferdinase514

Visit site
Just read the consultation paper and realised that with my 7.5ton 1994 Leyland Daf I will be expected to pay £100 per day, everyday from July 2008, to use my lorry.

I live just inside the Zone, in Upminster (near Romford). I don't compete within the zone, but will have to pay in order to get my lorry out of the town where I live.

Anyone else in the zone...?

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/low-emission-zone/pdfdocs/low-emission-zone-boundary-map.pdf

cp1980

Visit site
Oh dear - they should make horseboxes an exception, IMO. It looks as thought it's still at consultation stage - you should make representations and point out that you are not using it for commercial purposes.

Climate change and the increasing cost of motoring is a fact of life that won't change, though. It may be wise for you to sell your box and buy a van and trailer or something.

I can imagine most horses being pulled around in single horse trailers pulled my more modest estate cars within the decade. The days of the 4x4 are also numbered.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I fully agree that something has to be done about climate change and applaud what Ken is up to, but it isn't Horsebox owners causing the greatest damage to the environment.

My horse wont travel in a trailer
frown.gif

cp1980

Visit site
Just had a look at what they are saying.

It looks at though older horseboxes are specifically included. But it does say vehicles that comply with more recent "Euro" polution standards would be exempt. Technology is just about at Euro 5, with most late 90s vehicles at Euro 2, or Euro 3.

You can add filters and make other modifications to some old vehicles to bring them up to the higher standards, but it may be more worthwhile to just invest in a newer box.

Ferdinase514

Visit site
I think I will prob move Finni to Brentwood or somewhere nearby, since I am just inside the zone.

I don't really want to sell my lorry as I have only recently bought it. It's really just unfortunate that the zone covers where I live.

airedale

Visit site
I've responded to the questionnaire/comments form at the end and asked that private horseboxes be exempted at weekends. You may well find that your lorry can be modified to comply with the new emission requirements and so you will not have to pay the fee. Check with your mechanic.

I already have spoken to mine and as mine is so old he says it probably wont' be able to conform to the specification. Although I live outside the zone I regularly compete at an indoor dressage shows that are about 2 miles inside the zone. So if it comes into force as 'Red Ken' wants it to then I'll have to scratch that venue from my list and instead compete at one 30 miles in another direction.

So instead of 'globally warming' by using my lorry for a round trip of 8 miles I'll use it for a round trip of 60 miles. Now I wonder what emission benefit that is to the planet ?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?

If you have received a consultation document PLEASE fill in the comments form at the back. If you haven't and you are on the fringes of Ken Livingstones empire and compete inside it's tentacles then you better check his wacky website, find the thing on line, and then also ask for private horseboxes to be exempted at weekends. I doubt a full exemption will be provided by KL as he hates motorists, doesn't own a car and therefore I cannot see him having much time for us 'upper class twits' that own horses and have horseboxes.

This thing, plus the Transport Operators issue makes one think of chucking the lorry and getting a trailer (as you don't have any of these 'hire and reward' issues with a trailer) but then KL will 'gotcha' with a 2000 quid per year road tax for the towing vehicle.

mmmmmmmmmmm - we're not meant to win in this life I think

RobinHood

Visit site
hmmm I would need a more detailed map to see if I am in the zone or not, it would certainly end our hacks round Richmond Park anyay
frown.gif

SpruceRI

Visit site
God, I've been contemplating selling my 4x4 when the massive road tax for 'Chelsea Tractors' comes in, but don't think I'll be any better off with a lorry. Can I tow a trailer with 2 Shire Horses??

Allykat

Visit site
Where abouts are you Piebaldsparkle? I'm right on the edge in the south east. I dont have a lorry, but it would certainly make age and mechanics even more important now when choosing one.....Just means I need to save more money before I get my own
frown.gif

Most people just outside the zone will abandon shows just inside...it will just not be worth while going.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I seriously think that an awful lot of cash gathering is hidden under the guise of 'Global Warming'.

The Govenrment has put heavier excise duty on 4X4s, Diesel is more expensive than petrol, they have banned hunting, they are saying that Horse Boxes may have to have an operators licence & now this charge for being in the zone. Local council charges an annual fee for riding in local park & insists on horse & rider having minimum of £5million liability insurance yet mountain bikers etc enter free, ride like maniacs & don't need insurance.

Are the days of owning a horse on the way out????????
mad.gif

Natalie_H

Visit site
Totally agree with you. I detest the sweeping generalisation of "gas guzzling 4x4s". I used to have a 4x4 Suzuki Jimny 1.3L. That wasnn't a gas guzzler, but was a 4x4. I now have a Sorento that tows 2800kg, but have checked the emissions & they are lower than the 225g p/km that is supposed to be the new boundary at which the congestion charge is going to go up to £25 per day. So if they do it on emissions (which is the only way they can realistically do it) there will be many big engine saloons & sports cars with higher emissions than my "gas guzzling 4x4" which btw does on average 35 mpg combined
mad.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
No but the shires can tow the trailer
grin.gif

Seriously, we once had to get Cairo someone in an emergency and he went in an old Sinclair Ambassador towed by a transit and went slowly but got there.

That said he is only an ickle clydie at 16.3 and 760 k so if you have one of the big show types, then no way will you get them in your average trailer.