Long and low?

Jazzy B

Visit site
I'm not sure how to explain this, but hope its kind of clear but basically I could really do with some ideas to help!

My horse has had some pretty formal training at some point however, I believe that he has been side reined excessively as when I first got him the muscles in his neck were over developed and he holds himself in a false outline i.e. he just just didn't seem to have a clue how to stretch through his back and neck. I understand that his muscles are developed in the wrong places and it will take time he is beginning to go nicely in walk on the lunge and when being ridden but when we begin to trot both when being ridden and on the lunge he just becomes pokey and shuffley.

I side rein him and am having regular lessons but if anyone has any thoughts of any exercises I could do with him I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks in advance.

LouS

Visit site
I always long line on a circle (lunge with two reins) with no gadgets, they learn to stretch and use themselves properly with no hindrance from the rider, if done properly you will feel a difference under saddle after 3 or 4 weeks. I wouldn't put side reins on him if you want him to stretch down.

Jazzy B

Visit site
I always long line on a circle (lunge with two reins) with no gadgets, they learn to stretch and use themselves properly with no hindrance from the rider, if done properly you will feel a difference under saddle after 3 or 4 weeks. I wouldn't put side reins on him if you want him to stretch down.

wouldn't put side reins on him, that's whats caused his issues lol :( I've been doing a fair bit of long lining and his really beginning to relax in walk but trot still quite stuffy even when doing this - do you think it could just be time? :confused:

be positive

Visit site
Have you had a physio to treat him, this would help release the tension that may be causing the problems, also saddle fit can affect his ability to stretch.
The lunging tips above are good, when riding you need to work on him going forward in a rhythm and relaxing as much as you can, once he is moving forward you can then start to encourage him to stretch down and over his back, leg yielding, spiralling in and out of a circle and pole work can all be useful.

Jazzy B

Visit site
physio found tension behind his ears and sorted that and due to have them out again in next month or so also had his saddle checked just before Christmas.

these are all good suggestions thank you

Slightlyconfused

Go away, I'm reading
Visit site
when walking him in from the feild ask him to lower his head, it helps to stretch out the neck and top line in a loose and relaxed manner with no pressure on thinking its work and has to do it. it will be fun, just remember to give as soon as he lowers :)
xx