Long Arena- Dressage People...

scrumpygus

Visit site
I just wondered as so many venues do all of their classes in long arena - how do people practice for their test - do all the people that compete have big enough schools at home?? Or do u learn the test and just have a crack at it when u get there?? Just wondered as i do like to have a practice but havent got an arena quite big enough .. what do u guys do?? Any advice most welcome as at the moment im really limited on the tests i enter as i only feel confident with short arena set up.

Roody2

Visit site
we're lucky enough to have a 60x20 (ish) school at our yard. I have the opposite problem as I am used to that so if I do a short test sometimes I run out of space in circles!!
The local dressage venue hires out their arenas at fairly reasonable prices - maybe your local place does that too so you can practice. Most instructors that you travel to will have the larger schools as well so if you found a good one you could incorporate a lesson with practising in a big arena.

OR

if you have a nice flat field with good ground you could mark out your own arena in whatever size you want.

Rachellouise1

Visit site
Hi
I only have a short arena at home, I found the best thing for me was just to get out there and do it. i struggled to learn the extra letters so I learn the test by pattern. The more you do the better it gets. I never practice the test the whole way through anyway, I find incorporating the movements into my schooling is better, in fact train harder movements then the test seems relatively easy.
wink.gif
Rach

scrumpygus

Visit site
Unfortunately havent got a flat field suitable - perhaps the hiring of a school nearby is the best option - i will probably only need to have a go once to familiarise myself then hopefully i will feel confident enough to go in and know where im going!

OneInAMillion

Visit site
i just learn the test i ften dont practice before hand but if its long arena i just have a practice at home just so im going in the right direction!!

clairencappelli

Visit site
We have a 20x40 but i never practise a whole test i only ever ride elements of it of my horse will take over so its no different to me than riding a test in a short arena.

Lolo

Visit site
We only have acsess to a 20x40, but we wheeled out a bigger arena on a field just round the corner which is large and flat. However, we rarely ride through our tests, just ractise movements, because surely, a 20m circle is a 20m circle, whatever the size of the school? Only time we had a problem wih that when the little darling my sister rides did his medium across the diagonal and nearly had a coronary!

scrumpygus

Visit site
Thanks - u are right about that - what worried me though is that often within the test even if i have a caller i am often on 'auto pilot' and am purely concentrating on the movements- whereas if i havent practiced in long arena when they shout the letter ill be searching for the marker rather than concentrating on what im doing - perhaps dropping down a level to have a go at long arena may be the way forward that way i wont have any difficult movements to do and can see how i get on in the long arena.

Governor

Visit site
A 20 metre circle should be the same in a 20x40 arena as in an 4 acre field? The indoor school at my yard is 15m but you are looking to hit the boards at a competition to ride 20m anyway so it isn't a struggle.

I never ride a test through completely before a competition though.
crazy.gif