Long dog/lurchers owners/experts help needed

Irishcobs

Visit site
My deerhound x bedlington greyhound, 9 yrs old a few weeks ago got up from lying down and run out screaming, she wouldn't let you touch her. She was very distressed so was rushed to vets. Vet couldn't examine her very well as she was just screaming the whole time so gave her a pain killer, anti inflammatory and a sedative and sent her home with 5 tablets of Tramadol, one every 12 hours. After the course of Tramadol we noticed a slightly swollen area on the left hand side of her spine, between hip and rib cage, but she wasn't in pain, no crying and would let you touch it.
This swollen area started to go down after a few days until this Sat when it started to get bigger but no pain. Yesterday she was lying in front of the fire and got up screaming. Same as before. She was stressed, panting and shivering. We gave her a Tramadol (I am on the same tablets) but she never relaxed, always standing and wandering around. She did lie down and get up with out screaming but wasn't happy. She went to the vets this morning and has been kept in for x rays etc. Vet has said there is no defined edge to the lump and couldn't feel anything from the inside, rectally. There is no heat to the lump. Temp etc was fine. So will find out at 4pm what the x rays have shown.

I'm not sure if the same applies to dogs as humans but I have ruptured discs and my back muscles get very tight and sore from holding my spine together. Atm I have a lump on the left hand side muscle because of this and I know long dogs are more prone to disc problems. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of thing?

Irishcobs

Visit site
Just had a phone call from vets. They x rayed and then gave her a general to take a biopsy. She is awake and we have been asked to come and get her at 4.30 as she is still very woozy. The vet is going to go through it with us then.

Alec Swan

Visit site
There are several possibilities, and really your vet will be the person to lay them out before you.

I'M NOT A VET, but, having had and seen the odd lurcher, they can on occasions react as you've described, and it can all so often be a muscular-skeletal strain or spasm, and time and rest and even careful massage, can return things to normal.

As your dog has a visible swelling, which from what you say, is acute, then there may be a violent reaction to some form of trauma. I'd be surprised that an immediate swelling, though worrying, would be in need of a biopsy, as if swellings come up, within hours or minutes, they are generally non life threatening.

I'm sure you will be aware that Sight Hounds generally have a serious reaction to general anaesthetic, in that it can take them days to fully recover. It can be intensely distressing to watch them come around from a GA, and a peaceful and darkened room, is generally the best place for them. I also suspect that though we try to offer them comfort, we can also make matters worse for them, but that's only my belief.

My honest opinion, from your clear description? I suspect that your dog has a fairly major muscular trauma, but again, your vet will be the one to advise you.

I realise that you will be worried sick, but do let us know how the poor girl progresses.

A final point about dogs which are screaming their heads off; I strongly suspect that the noise which they are making, actually makes matters worse, for them, and I've found that they calm down far quicker, when their mouth is gently held shut, so that eventually, the screaming subsides, to a whimper!

I strongly suspect that she is fixable!! ;)

Alec.

MaHats

Visit site
Do hope its very good news for your dog.

Comments above seem very helpful and informative; nothing to add, except that I find Lurcher/Long dogs scream so much at even the most minor things, mine screams his head off if he brushes past a leaf.

Jools2345

Visit site
I'm sure you will be aware that Sight Hounds generally have a serious reaction to general anaesthetic, in that it can take them days to fully recover.
Alec.

this applies to any dog that has very little body fat and depends enormously on which drugs are used.

lurchers seem to scream about most things unless they are in chase mode then they could rip a leg off and still keep going.

the lump and the pain may not be related, I swear my girl suffers from cramp if I am not careful with cooling her off after strenuous excersise. cramp means she leaps up screaming but massaging usually eases it.

hope it is good news

Alec Swan

Visit site
....... nothing to add, except that I find Lurcher/Long dogs scream so much at even the most minor things, mine screams his head off if he brushes past a leaf.

Strange isn't it that they can be such whimps, but when they are at full tilt, and they trip, they have the most crashing tumble, they manage multiple cartwheels, our hearts are in our mouths, and within a stride or two, they are on their feet yet again, and at a flat out gallop!

Strange creatures indeed. Part of the attraction, perhaps!!

Alec.

Irishcobs

Visit site
Thanks all I will let you know what the vets says.
We are guessing they took a biopsy as the swelling wasn't a normal trauma swelling but I don't know for sure, will find out in an hour.
Obviously following vets advice we are going to keep her separate from the other lurcher as she is a pest.

Alec Swan

Visit site
this applies to any dog that has very little body fat and depends enormously on which drugs are used.

An interesting point. Are there GAs which are kinder?

lurchers seem to scream about most things unless they are in chase mode then they could rip a leg off and still keep going.

See below!

the lump and the pain may not be related, I swear my girl suffers from cramp if I am not careful with cooling her off after strenuous excersise. cramp means she leaps up screaming but massaging usually eases it.

Someone's kept a greyhound, or two!;)

hope it is good news

As do we all.

Alec.

Dexter

Visit site
One of mine hopped down stairs on 3 legs last week, couldnt straighten his leg, screaming and crying when I tried. I thought he'd done something really, really serious. I eventually found a scab the size of a ten pence piece on the back of his knee, which I duly picked off in case there was any infection hiding. Naughty I know! Once the scab was off, he jumped up right as rain?! I can only assume the scabby bit was pulling on the hair or something. Whatever it was he genuinely thought he was on deaths door! Completely non weight bearing, crying with pain and giving me the sad eyes and help me looks. This is the same dog that will do cartwheels at a flat out gallop and barely miss a step. Hes the biggest wimp I've ever met!

Hope its good news for you, its never nice to see your dog in pain :(

leflynn

Visit site
Do hope its very good news for your dog.

Comments above seem very helpful and informative; nothing to add, except that I find Lurcher/Long dogs scream so much at even the most minor things, mine screams his head off if he brushes past a leaf.

Sounds familiar, our greyhound halway down the stairs on Sat am trying to turn around and not a squeak was uttered, yet a week or so ago he caught his nail a tiny bit and screamed his head off to the point I stopped the car, got out to check him and it started to roll away as I paniced and didn't put the handbrake on properly :eek:

Irishcobs

Visit site
Just back from vets. It's not good news.
The x rays came back fine, no skeleton problems so they did an ultrasound which showed a tumour. They then did a biopsy which they are fast tracking to get the results but the tumour bleed very badly and the vets think it is a Hemangiosarcoma tumour. Which is very aggressive and there is no treatment.
We are taking her back on Thursday for a dressing change and to get the results but I don't think she will be coming back with us afterwards.

Jools2345

Visit site
Just back from vets. It's not good news.
The x rays came back fine, no skeleton problems so they did an ultrasound which showed a tumour. They then did a biopsy which they are fast tracking to get the results but the tumour bleed very badly and the vets think it is a Hemangiosarcoma tumour. Which is very aggressive and there is no treatment.
We are taking her back on Thursday for a dressing change and to get the results but I don't think she will be coming back with us afterwards.

thats not good news hope she is a comfortable as you can keep her until the news is in and I will keep my fingers crossed

Irishcobs

Visit site
She perked up in the car and managed to walk into the house well. She is now fast asleep and snoring with us in the living room. The other lurcher who normally protests about being shut out is very quiet this evening. She must know something is up.
We had a really nice family walk on Sunday in a new place (well I was on the horse but we were all together) which was a nice and she loved exploring.

haycroft

Visit site
Aw sorry to hear about ya hound ,must admit haven't read all posts
Hope for better news
My whippet at the moment has a back problem she's on metacam n get get very shivery usually sign of pain ( think il b taking her back v soon )
I always go to a greyhound vet u has more experience in this breed having curved n flexible spines ,( my vet treats greyhounds n whippets who race) yes u gotta b carefulGA to a sight hound
What ever the outcome good luck it's a brave decision to say goodbye if that's the case but quality is better than quantity of life as to b in pain

Burmilla

Visit site
So sorry to read this: your vets sound thorough and you realistic and compassionate. She is having every reasonable chance for the best decision to be made on her behalf. Lucky dog. Hugs and kind thoughts for Ms Longdog, and for you and your family. X

tigger01

Visit site
Fingers crossed for you and your lurcher. Whatever happens it sounds like you've given your friend the best life. Hugs from me and my greyhound Coco.

Irishcobs

Visit site
So after a stressful couple of days and several trips to the vets we are still waiting for the results. The vet has been ringing them constantly today but still no results. They have told us they should have the results tomorrow. In the mean time, she seems happier and more alert than before, there is a lot fluid, mainly blood, coming from the tumour but it is draining around her body, she has a fat leg and belly, which the vets are happy with. She hasn't eaten since Monday evening, everything we have tried she will turn her nose up and she is incredibly good at holding it in her mouth until you stop watching her. So we have special food from the vet and a nice big syringe.

hobgoblin

Visit site
Just read your update fingers and everything crossed for your girl. One of my Lurchers is poorly at the moment too with an unexplained lameness it's heart-breaking isn't it?
Huge hugs and loving vibes sent your way X