Long haired white shepherd stinky bum

Gusbear

Was Richmond, Surrey now a mountain forest in Oz.
Visit site
My dog has been unwell so has had runny poo this week. All cleared now by vet but as he is long haired he has a very dirty back end and one very smelly bottom. Vet said to clean it but not how.
There is a general stale dog sweet pooey smell wafting around the house so it seems a bottom clean needs be done ASAP.
I’ve got disposable rubber gloves at the ready. Should I wash his majesty’s stinky behind with
warm water only or and can I use soap too.
The vet kindly clipped off the long hairs on his back legs as it was matted from swimming plus lots of dried poo too 😩 (he’s a white GSD).
I don’t want to irritate his delicate white skin but I really need to clean him up and hence get rid of the cologne a la dog poo poo odour that has invaded my house this week.
Any ideas please ...

Gusbear

Visit site
Thanks for that. I wasn’t sure if I could use soapy water. The smell from Mr Pooey Bum dog has become overwhelming it seems. I work from home full time so had almost got used to the smell but realised today it was bad as I came home after a long walk with him and it literally floored me the smell was that strong. Thank god I don’t get visitors that often!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Poor spud! Personally I would take him to a pro groomer and get him a good bath/blast and a brush out and then try and keep on top of it yourself thereafter.

I have a longcoat GSD (who swims!) and you need to be giving him a good brush daily to prevent matting generally, it's not fair on them to let the coat get too heavy and matted, it makes them hot and itchy and it can pull on their skin and make it sore. If you work from home, it only takes ten minutes out of your day :) use a comb or brush with long teeth and not a wire brush (they are useless) and definitely not a Furminator. With a longhair I would always keep wipes handy as they can get a bit smelly generally.

Gusbear

Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I have wet wipes and and a long brush. He used to be brushed daily for at lest an hour but due to my illness I haven’t been able to do so myself regularly nor afford to get a groomer to do it for me lately. I will take your comments on board. I appreciate your reply. Off to do gloves and get brushing!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I used to wash my GSDs with horse shampoo and warm water if they got in a mess on their bums. Proper lathery scrub then separate rinse water. Then a hairdryer.

satinbaze

Visit site
If you live near a branch of kennelgate they have a walk in dog wash you can pay to use. They supply all shampoo and a blaster to dry off

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
my deerhound used to get a bit mucky so i clipped the hair around the offending part and then shampooed with baby shampoo to get clean and rinsed well with warm water... it was then easy to keep her clean...

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Clip back end.
Wait til it dries and brush out.
Very full bucket of warm soapy water, shove his bum in! Massage out icky bits with Marigolds.

I can’t lie, I hose mine who all have bum feathers.

Twohorses

Visit site
If the dog is not being shown, I would not waste any time cutting the hair around the butt. I would even shave it, if the dog will tolerate clippers.

Hair always grows back and being "crew cut" back there will give the guy plenty of time to air out and dry out in case he might have another event:)

Aru

Visit site
Tie or get someone to headlock dog. clip under the crap if you have a clipper and its superficial-care on the skin its easy enough to cut if your not used to clipping or sissors off wherever you can-it'll grow back eventually
hose bottom until drenched or use a few buckets of water(less well tolerated unless they can sit in it I've found)
lukewarm water is kinder and better tolerated but hose is quicker...
gloves on and shampoo the hell out of the offending area. you'll have to break down the crusted on pieces.
repeat the hosing to remove shampoo
once all the crap is out and shampoo gone, id usually throw some conditioner into the coat to comb out the feathers easier if they got to stay, then wash again

Its worse when you cant clip them but if the skin isn't sensitive(spot test on the itchy,sensitive skin dogs) or matted cases then dawn or equivalent washing up liquid can help break down the crap quite well and is often better then shampoo initially. usually only needed if they are very bad and acting similar to dreads in people. You need to give a basic clean before clipping down properly if you want your clippers to live a decent lifespan.
You still need shampoo after to remove the harsher detergent.

Repeat steps until dogs clean.

Alternatively inflict him on your local groomer to do the above. If the dogs not keen on having the nether regions bathed properly its almost always easier in the long run to let someone used to the process do it for both owners and the dogs sake.

Gusbear

Visit site
Thanks Shady. My god the smell. He had blocked anal glands a few weeks ago and the fishy smell was unbearable.
I’ve doned the gloves and got to work. Gawd it was like an explosion in a chocolate factory round his rear end. 😳.
Thankfully the vet clipped off all the matted bits round his nether regions and back legs (free of charge too I might add) so that helped.
He’s certainly not a show dog as sadly here in Australia, white GSD’s are not a recognised breed. ☹️ Over the years the purists here have simply PTS I.e drowned the white ones in the litter, so they are quite rare here.
I’ve been yelled at by other GSD owners telling me my dog is not a GSD as white ones don’t exist. I’ve simply replied well in more developed countries such as the UK and USA they recognise white GSD’s. Bloody ignorant people. Now I know why I hate living here as everyone is so backward thinking. Is he an albino? No, he doesn’t have pink eyes so no.
Other dog owners insisted he was a Mareema and others have said he’s a wolf. It takes lots of convincing for them to believe me he’s neither

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Lol! Yes my dogs are not black and gold show types. One is a collie cross/Gronendael, the other is a Malinois/wolf cross/pit bull cross (he has a massive head lol).
I usually have to offer to show a five gen pedigree before people stop talking :p

The UK Kennel Club and the German parent body the SV do class white as a non standard colour/a disqualifying fault and they cannot be shown as GSDs in the breed ring.
The FCI recognises the standalone breed 'Berger Blanc Suisse' which enables both coat types to be shown under its auspices.

The SV accepted long coats (with undercoat) a few years back but a lot of old timers still find it hard to take and would look down on my dog.

Last edited:

Shady

Visit site
Thanks Shady. My god the smell. He had blocked anal glands a few weeks ago and the fishy smell was unbearable.
I know EVERYTHING a person should ever have to know about anal gland juice when I got squirted in the eye by some.
The kind people on this forum were extremely sympathetic.... NOT
If you post long enough you will come to realise that I am a total idiot :)

PS I love white GSD 's , they look divine

Shady

Visit site
18.3hh ?????? That is not a horse, that is a Giraffe( very handsome tho!) , how on earth do you get on it. How I would love to see my little Arab next to him, lol
Your dog is beautiful :). There are quite a few over here, quite popular I think but not sure if they are well bred

Gusbear

Visit site
Giraffe?, more like riding an elephant. It sounds like a stampede when he canters!
I’m only 5’4” and 8 1/2 stone so I’m like a pea on a drum. Plus he’s as wide as a house. I use a mounting block, pray he doesn’t move and bounce up off the block to get on. Takes a while to manoeuvre myself into place. Sorting out the miles of reins is akin to gathering up the knitting. Dismounting is a pain (literally) as I have to wriggle about and position myself face down across the front of the saddle then slide down a way and then jump to the floor. On occasion my D cup chest has got stuck on the pommel in the process 😫. I can’t dismount on a hard surface as I jar my ankles. I’m not getting any younger so I might need to invest in a scissor lift in a few years. Failing that teach him to lie down like a camel. FYI horse was ‘only’ 17.1hh when I got him as a 4 1/2 year old. I’d only had TB’s before so I didn’t realise WB’s keep growing. He’s now 10 and has recently grown another inch. His breeder said her vet told her he’d only be 16.2hh as his sire and dam were 16.1hh and 16hh.

Shady

Visit site
OMG, I now have visions of you being hoisted on by a crane ! I cannot begin to imagine what riding a horse that big must be like and falling off one? * shudders *. I would love to see some more photo's of him in all his glory. I got my bra stuck on a western type fork once, bloody embarrassing!
I rode a Spanish horse that had been taught to stretch out and lower itself for a rider to mount. It's very common although ours doesn't do it. That would be just the ticket for you tho!.x

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Why are white GSDs not recognised/accepted? I understand the whole double Merle issue in certain breeds, but why white? Is it linked to any health issues?

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
The creator of the breed considered that a white dog was unsuitable for their various roles as they were too obviously seen, especially at night.

The first registered GSD was Horand von Grafath and he was grey.

Unfortunately as a non standard/'interesting' colour, as with blues and livers, people do breed them for colour alone with no thought to health and unfortunately with a smaller gene pool there are higher incidences of HD/ED (including from one off-colour male imported to the UK and used extensively :() epilepsy and poor nerves in the off-colour lines.

Last edited:

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Sorry I meant that one dog in particular who was a non standard colour had a high hip score, not that he was unique.

In fairness some breeders did clean up their act a few years back after some pretty poor health in their lines.

I know someone on the continent who has a panda GSD bred from a grey male and a bi-colour female. Top working lines and DNA proven. HD/ED normal, just a freak colour mutation. The sire sold out of Europe ;)
Stunning dog to look at.

Some black GSDs are genetically white, to confuse the issue :p
DNA and record keeping means there are much more humane ways to minimise unwanted health and other genetic traits, thankfully.

Last edited:

Gusbear

Visit site
Shady, Sorry I don’t have any pics saved my IPad or new phone as most of them are on my old phone and iPad and I ran out of Cloud space.
The 2nd pic was taken by my instructor taking him for a spin around the racecourse at our yard (a former TB training facility). 2000m sand track and 2200m grass track. Great for a blast.
The last pic is of him as an ugly ducking aged 3 months.
I do have a brief video of my 6’1” poll thin instructor schooling him but the video won’t load as too large. 😩

Attachments

• 0A9BE94A-89C9-4FE0-BB1B-813E98A8DB62.jpeg
    0A9BE94A-89C9-4FE0-BB1B-813E98A8DB62.jpeg
    892.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 49D93AE9-CAEE-4317-89D0-3F08BAE0EF79.jpeg
    49D93AE9-CAEE-4317-89D0-3F08BAE0EF79.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 894CE8C7-5F08-4C98-B1AA-55FFDAD1A67D.jpeg
    894CE8C7-5F08-4C98-B1AA-55FFDAD1A67D.jpeg
    658.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 566002D5-34C5-4736-8DED-BA4237FF6B31.jpeg
    566002D5-34C5-4736-8DED-BA4237FF6B31.jpeg
    165.6 KB · Views: 6

Shady

Visit site
He is stunning GB:):)
Love the third one in particular and what a little weirdo he was at 3 months!!!!

Have you visited the Club House on here yet Gusbear? It's nice in there and we all have a chat, a laugh and help each other with all sorts of other ' stuff '. Might be nice for you ? x