Long lorry journey - advice please?

Pidge

Visit site
Am off to Australia in January, and the horses are going on holiday to the Cotswolds. Journey will probably take between 1 1/2 - 2 hours in total. Only ever travelled them for 1/2 hour at a time. So am after some advice please?
Ford Cargo 813 - 8ft wide, rubber matting on floor and stock boarding on walls. Stalled for 3 horses but only usually travel the 2 of them in it, so have space in stall next to living area. They will be rugged, booted and tail wraps on.
Haynet - me thinks yes
Shavings or straw on top of the matting? Never normally do for the short journeys.
For Pidge Thin Thermatex or thickone? Or Comfort Zone Lapel rug with neck cover?
Pidge is 16.3hh and in a 7ft rug so travels on a slant anyway, do I give him as much room as poss or not?
Sunny is 14.3hh and in a 6'3" rug so is fine.
Anything else I need to think of, just want to get everything planned well in advance...........

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Shavings on the floor.
Nice big haynet.
Not too much room (you don't want them falling over)
Don't overrug - it get's hot in lorries.

Travelling time is no time at all. They will be fine.

Tempi

Visit site
gosh i really wouldnt worry about the travelling time - i thought you were going to say an 8-10 hour journey!! i travel 3hours to my trainer for lessons everyother weekend! and 8hours up to lincoln for the nationals in august!!

like amymay said dont over rug and just make sure they have nice big haynets and some ventilation for the journey and im positive they will be fine.

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Echo what amymay says about rugging. Horses get very warm when travelling and in my opinion, its better that they feel slightly cool than be hot and sweaty. Some of the rugs sold as travel rugs are just too thick

PaddyMonty

Visit site
Dont worry, thats not a long journey. Regularly travel ours that length of time to comps, compete then travel back.
As long as they have plenty of hay they will be fine. Agree dont over rug and make sure they have ventilation.

kirstyfk

Visit site
2 hours is still local for us! The horses will be fine see what the weather and rug appriately. If you have 2 people in the lorry and you have a cut through the other person can go and check temps and what not.

Weezy

Visit site
I dont bother with shavings on the floor - they dont need a haynet for that amount of time (you can offer one if you feel better tho) - I would slap a cooler on and thats it!

Malibu

Visit site
I travelled my boy down to somerset from scotland and he was fine, i put polos on under boots for extar support. I let him out a few times for a stretch. Changed rugs as well over nigt so he was cosy and cooler during day. He was fine, he got a day to recover and He loked very good. 2 hours is not long, we travel that for a local be event. I would not worry and i woudlnt put shavings on the floor. They will be fine
have fun in aus

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Shavings on the floor make it much easier to clean the box afterwards, and also much more pleasant for the horse.

A large haynet makes the owner feel better
smile.gif

Pidge

Visit site
Gosh you guys are just ace! There was me worrying about it being a long journey, oops
blush.gif
That's really put my mind at rest as I am starting to stress about leaving the boys already.
So lightweight coolers on, large haynets, got reasonable ventilation as 3 small windows bum end and 3 large ones head end which we always open when travelling. Thanks
grin.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
its a short journey (in comparison) so just make sure plenty of hay if they get fidgety and rug with a travel rug or as mentioned thermatex but put it on a bit before you travel just to check not hotting up. Wouldn't have stalls any differently than you normally travel and I wouldn't bother about straw/shavings as on that length of journery they are far more likely to hold it in pee wise
wink.gif

I occasionally (eg once every couple of years) take my lad back to Jersey. That involves 3 hour drive then 3 hour wait at portsmouth docks (where you wouldn't want to unload unless your mad or your horse is well asleep!) then 12 hour overnight boat journey followed by 1-2 hours at other end!

I don't unload at any point due to me not wanting a horse loose at the docks! But I give extra room, put a fair bit of straw or shavings down, whilst on the ferry wedge and tie the ramp so that its at about a 45 degree angle to allow horse to have head out to give fresh air and extra room. Water is also offered at every stopping point then put in hook over bucket over end barrier whilst on ferry. End result horse comes off as fresh as a daisy even though on the lorry for up to 20 hours.

Won't tell you how he came over first time with horse transporter though! shall we just have to say we had to check same horse!

Slightly deviated from point but hopefully reassure you that you are doing a short journey in comparison to what it could be
wink.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
pack of cards - maybe connect 4 - that'll keep em busy

[/ QUOTE ]
Or the latest version of Trivial Pursuits????
tongue.gif

KatB

Visit site
They'll be fine, as others have said, thats a nice short journey! Just make sure they don't overheat, and give them a haynet. My boy came over from Ireland in April, had no rug on, no haynet but was offered feed and water regularly, and was fine, if a bit tired when arrived. He was on the lorry for 20+ hours.....

Pidge

Visit site
thanks it has reassured me that it is only a short journey to others, but long enough for me! Wouldn't fancy doing the 20hour journey though, you must have a pretty chilled horse to cope with that. I think Pidge would cope but Sunny can be opinionated and would probably kick the box to bits as everytime we stop he bangs to be let off
tongue.gif

Santa_Claus

www.katiemortimore.com
Thankfully Dan is very chilled when travelling on his own. On the ferry he just falls asleep as its an overnight crossing. He does go through 2 VERY large haynets in that time though!

Another trick if they don't want to drink you make the sloppiest feed ever eg small handful of chaff/mix and lots of water! Either that or apple/carrot bobbing which keeps him entertained.

It always amuses the freight workers as normally all they have on the ferry is artic trailers bringing over food etc (room for 12 drivers max) and most horses arn't so well behaved so are normally shut up, whereas Dan just sticks his head out and drops hayledge everywhere inbetween his naps!