Long mane...

_jetset_

Visit site
Sorry for all the posts... just coming across a few new things with the new horse and wanting to do the right thing.

My new horse has a really long mane (down to her shoulder), but it is quite thin. So, should I cut it (eek!) first, and then pull it or just start pulling straight away? Only worry is that if I pull it from the length it is now she will have no mane left!

Super_Kat

www.myspace.com
I'd just cut it with scissors, quick, easy, neat
grin.gif

kat
xx

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks... I am a puller all the way, never use any of these contraptions, just a pulling come and me!

I think I will cut some of the length off and then pull it to neaten it up. That way I can get rid of the length without making it any thinner than it already is.

Theresa_F

Visit site
What I have found to work very well on a very long thin mane is to use a solo comb to get it within a few inches of the length you want and then finish the job by pulling the last bit to the required length.

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Use a razor comb like a dog stripping comb, even an old clipper blade to reduce the length without making it looked hacked and do it from the underneath, not the top, that way it falls better too. You might not need to pull any if it's that thin but any of those methods will give you a natural look as opposed to cutting.

MDJO

Visit site
Someone I know (a hairdresser by trade) suggested holding the mane up vertically and then cutting so when it falls back down to one side, it is slightly 'ragged'. Then pull the few remaining bits to get the best look - I'm in the same boat and going to try this approach at weekend