Long Manes or Short ?

welshcobabe

Visit site
I have a fresion and a welsh cob. Both their manes are very long and thick. I love them that way, and despite the time it takes to look after them would have them no other way. We got into a bit of a heated discussion the other night with my fellow livery pals and it seems we were quite devided as to what looks best, the smart clipped out look or my more romantic flowing locks so are you smart and clipped or favour the long flowing locks ?

filly190

Visit site
Each to their own, and what the breed suits. I have an arab with a lovely mane, which I take loads of pride in, my others horses are t.b's and so they are pulled manes.

Stick to what "you" like, and take no notice.

RubyR

Visit site
I normally like smart pulled manes. I used to own an Irish cob and she looked much smarter with a short mane. However, I now have a welsh cob with a lovely flowing flaxen mane and I'm going to leave it as it is because it looks so nice. I think it would be a real shame to cut it!! People do seem to have quite strong views on it. A few of my friends absolutely hate long manes!!!

Tierra

dressage.wordpress.com
Completly depends on the breed for me. In my opinion some should have long manes! I used to have a lippizaner and always left his mane alone... was actually quite upset when the first thing his new owners did was hack it off!

He was the only horse whos mane I have ever had long though... I think for most breeds it looks a bit silly
frown.gif

With yours however, I can understand it and certainly I think hacking off a fresions mane should be a punishable offence! :p

miamibear

Visit site
You've definately done right for the breed, i think long manes look lovely on the right breeds.

However a long mane would look rather silly on my ID x TB so he has a smart short mane. Plus it is easier to look after.

I wouldnt dream of pulling a fresians mane - lovely!!
grin.gif

riotgirl

Visit site
I go for long, but then I have a Welshie as well! I have 'adapted' it slightly so it is a bit shorter than usual as it gets so tangled otherwise. There is nothing better than a cob with a lovely long mane and tail!

BenjaminBunny

Visit site
I have a TB x ID and he had a pulled mane and tail when i bought him in april - but I've let them grow out - partially because he's been on box rest so we weren't doing anything and partly was to give him a bit of natural protection during the winter as our fields are exposed and have little to no shelter

but come the spring I will pull his mane and tail as I plan to take him in hunter classes next year

RobinHood

Visit site
I think it depends entirely on the horse. I am obsessive about my 2 thoroughbred's manes lying neatly on the right side about 3 or 4 inches long, but it would be a criminal offence to pull my mum's haflinger's mane. I think cobs look great hogged and fully clipped including legs.

pottamus

Visit site
I like to see horses au naturel myself. I have a Welsh and would not even consider trimming his mane up, he has it long and flowing...and it keeps his neck a bit warmer in the winter!
I agree that some breeds suit a long mane and tail more than others though. My horse is a real 'pretty boy' and would just not look right all trimmed up. If you are going to trim the mane up, I think you should then do the lot rather than half and half.But there are a lot of people round by me that think he looks a scruffy unruley mess because of his flowing locks!

serena2005

Visit site
i agree each to their own, my cob has a long mane, well i would like it longer but it takes forever to grow and then is spring he decides to rip it all out again... GGGRRRR so i have had temptations to hog him!!

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
it really depends on the horse. Personally I prefer long flowing manes.
One of YO's stallions 'should' have a short neat mane and forelock for showing, but he looks 10 times better with a long mane and forelock, it shows off his crest and his face much better.

Kelly1982

Visit site
Think it depends on the breed and horse personally.

All my horses have a short pulled mane though but my first pony was a palomino welsh sec D and had a long mane. It wouldn't of suited her any other way

Soph83

Visit site
<span style="color:purple"> My girls don't suit pulled manes, I much prefer long flowing locks that are kept tidy! When I do local shows wtc I do running plaits so I don't have to pull them.</span>

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Amymay - you said it all!!! I cannot abide long trailing tails or manes!! (unless on natives)

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, Amy is a native - and still gets scalped!!

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Depends if you are showing - If you are showing your Welsh in native classes then it should be natural (but neat), if you are doing cob classes then realy it should be hogged. I have no idea about Fresians! If you are more into dressage or jumping then it may be better to have it shorter to keep it out of the way and to assist plaiting. If you do native classes and dressage, juming etc then try an arab plait.

L

lilym

my cob is hogged and trimmed, can't abide all that hair, she also looks very plain with a mane, the welshie is as pulled as i can get away with, in fact nearley all the welshies are pulled and tidied in the show ring, and no-one has ever commented! i have left my old retired girl's mane au natrual as she is living out and needs it, but the temptation to pull it was sooo strong the other day, however she doen't go out in public so i won't worry, but when she was in work it was pulled and trimmed, can't abide loads of hair!
wink.gif