long overdue update and questions and ideas re spavins

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
its been soooooo long since i posted on here.... prob last posted in May i think... some may remember i had the young sports horse gelding who developed some weird un diagnosable weird hopping gait and went through various top vets and every diagnostic tool going with no diagnosis.
Just to recap the basic facts- he developed a weird hopping movement behind in trot only when ridden, was diagnosed with everything from sacroilliac issues to neuro issues. all of which were only suggestions as there was very little diagnostic evidence to back it up. been seen by 3 different top uk vets, all with different opinions and outcomes. i've spent about 8k in total in diagnostics and treatments (5k covered by ins) and gone through every possible medical outcome! i got alot of good advice on here but stopped posting in the end as i was througherly depressed by the whole situation and really at my wits end and just wanted to give up. i just couldn't accept no one could tell me what was wrong.
the last top vet we saw found some small spavins on his hocks and got quite a good response to a nerve block there, other vets didn't but this vet did. the x rays did show some bony changes but they were minor. we tried steriod injections, then trildren with little effect. 2 bute a day made him alot happier but not 100% sound. We also spent alot on getting refferd back pain sorted which agan improved things but not 100%
he then started dragging his back toes quite badly and eventually slipped one day out hackng and went down and i decided from then to give up on the vets, treatments and him to a certain extent. he'd had nearly a year of on off treatment and hospital stays and think we'd both had enough. That was in May this year.

i decided to turn him away for a good while as i found out in June i was pregnant. As time has gone on i'm now 100% percent convinced spavins have been the issue all along, mixed in with refferd back pain. as i watch him in the field he does drag his back toes a bit and sometimes looks stiff but not lame. he's now been turned away for 5 months- and i mean proper turned away! doesn't come in, not rugged, etc etc.
i've come to accept his situation now and to be honest given i'll soon have a baby i'll prob not want to do too much more than hack a few times a week. at least initally.
so, by the time i'll get back on him he'd have had 13 months of being turned away and roughed off in a huge field. He'll be 8 by then.
i would start off riding him on bute, and probably keep him on it long term. how much bute would be acceptable?
and has anyone had a horse with spavins that responded to a long time off? i realise being turned away isn't ideal with a horse with spavins but to be honest we'd both given up and it was a starting to effect our sanity!

xx

cptrayes

Visit site
Friend's horse was put in foal and two years later she was sound. Mine was kept in work and it took around three years, but he did one hock first and then the other, which was unhelpful to say the least! He had bute to keep him going at times and was a 650-675kg horse but one a day was fine.

Good luck with the baby, and I am so pleased for you that you have an answer and that what you want from your horse once the baby is born will probably match what he will be capable of.

SpruceRI

Visit site
So sorry to hear that after all this time no real diagnosis has been made and therefore no definate solution.

I hope the time off sorts your gelding out. :)

Escada2004

Visit site
My Mare was diagnosed with Spavin in one hock last year when she was 6, she has had treatment and been on and off lame ever since and in June she started showing signs in the other hock. She has come sound each time but then gone lame again and recently she has really switched off and not happy. I am in totally the same situation as you with thinking of turning her away for 6 months, or my other thought is to put her in foal next year. I had thought about it this year when she went again but ended up too late in the breeding season and i didnt want a foal being born too near winter :/ so difficult as my mare is very very talented and when she is on form she is amazing! Its also odd as she is sound at the moment and really seems to be using her hocks again since i put her on maxaflex. Half of me thinks there may be something else bothering her and im thinking of getting her whole body legs and feet scanned with Thermography just to see if it shows any area that its worth me getting the vet to look at. Does anyone have any experiences with using this?

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
My Mare was diagnosed with Spavin in one hock last year when she was 6, she has had treatment and been on and off lame ever since and in June she started showing signs in the other hock. She has come sound each time but then gone lame again and recently she has really switched off and not happy. I am in totally the same situation as you with thinking of turning her away for 6 months, or my other thought is to put her in foal next year. I had thought about it this year when she went again but ended up too late in the breeding season and i didnt want a foal being born too near winter :/ so difficult as my mare is very very talented and when she is on form she is amazing! Its also odd as she is sound at the moment and really seems to be using her hocks again since i put her on maxaflex. Half of me thinks there may be something else bothering her and im thinking of getting her whole body legs and feet scanned with Thermography just to see if it shows any area that its worth me getting the vet to look at. Does anyone have any experiences with using this?

sorry to hear this. my horse might be a one off random case as no diagnostic tool seems to work for him but i had thermography done twice on him by two different but very good companies. unfortunately neither showed any area of concern at all. there was a few minor hot spots around his back but nothing major and his hocks certinaly didnt show on there... so not sure if its any good or not... but then again nothing worked on my horse. even 2 other vets cleared his hocks first....

Escada2004

Visit site
sorry to hear this. my horse might be a one off random case as no diagnostic tool seems to work for him but i had thermography done twice on him by two different but very good companies. unfortunately neither showed any area of concern at all. there was a few minor hot spots around his back but nothing major and his hocks certinaly didnt show on there... so not sure if its any good or not... but then again nothing worked on my horse. even 2 other vets cleared his hocks first....

It is so difficult to know what to do for the best, my insurance has stopped paying now as she was diagnosed over a year ago, so if it is the hocks playing up again the cost will be all down to me, hence why i thought may be an idea to try the thermology as its nt expensive. But like you have said it might not show a thing and thats a bit more money wasted! If only the horse could talh hey ;)

misst

Visit site
I wondered how you were getting on:) Congratulations on the baby.
I know how hard you tried with this horse so I hope he continues to do ok and improve enough to give you some pleasure in the future.