Long pasterns & their implications?

frostyfingers

Visit site
Can I have opinions on these pasterns please - to my mind they're a bit on the long side?

It's a 5yo ISH which was broken last summer, turned away and is now back in work - I'm looking at it with a view to bringing it on as a hunter. The shoulder is also a little straight, but I don't want to post more pictures as it's not my horse.

Thanks very much.

attachment.php

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
they do look a bit long but they aren't the only thing that catches the eye, what is that bump on the off hind?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Those hooves have some pretty impressive ridges! They also look very tall which I don't think is helping the pasterns.

You say the shoulder is straight does it match the pastern angle?

Its a pretty big bump if it's still there.

Casey76

Visit site
29498078_10155604620188337_2469114232466046976_n.jpg

1) related to 5: the dip in the event line at the toe is indicative of rotation and sinking of the pedal bone

2) Large lump at the top of fetlock

3) hind feet heels are completely different lengths

4) I’ve just realized I’m a muppet and that is the same swelling as (2), however from this angle looks like it is the full fetlock which is swollen

5) huge double event lines

6) odd swelling/lump in the middle of the pastern ?possibly collateral ligament

Over all, the hooves are overly long and flared, and also the horse appears to be over at the knee on the right fore.

Just from this very small snippet of lower leg conformation, I wouldn’t expect the horse to hold up under the strenuous work required as a hunter.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Oh, there's a hell of a lot more wrong with that horsey's limbs than just long pasterns! I would walk away, rather quickly.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
29498078_10155604620188337_2469114232466046976_n.jpg

1) related to 5: the dip in the event line at the toe is indicative of rotation and sinking of the pedal bone

2) Large lump at the top of fetlock

3) hind feet heels are completely different lengths

4) I’ve just realized I’m a muppet and that is the same swelling as (2), however from this angle looks like it is the full fetlock which is swollen

5) huge double event lines

6) odd swelling/lump in the middle of the pastern ?possibly collateral ligament

Over all, the hooves are overly long and flared, and also the horse appears to be over at the knee on the right fore.

Just from this very small snippet of lower leg conformation, I wouldn’t expect the horse to hold up under the strenuous work required as a hunter.

Agree with it all.

6 possible also high ringbone, very bad news for soundness long term.