Long Reining - Advice please

RainbowDash

Visit site
Hi all,

I've had my boy for over a year now.

Last Sunday he came back from our ride lame :( and he's just some off box-rest (given all-clear to work again - fortunately temporary lameness). He's only been on box rest for five days, in good condition, etc.

Rather than jumping on :) - I'm looking to long rein. (He's voice responsive - so can't see a problem doing this - besides he's a clever little guy so this will be a little diversion for him) - have access to schools/off road walks/hacks etc.

What's the best way to do it? Can I use his current bridle, bit, saddle etc????

Many thanks and Cookies, Wine and chocolate fondue to anyone who gets this far :D

trottingon

Visit site
I think it's a good idea.
You can use his current bridle and either run the lines through the rings of a lunging roller, or if not you can use your saddle - what you'll need to do is pull your stirrups down as if you we're riding, but secure them in place so they don't flap around and run your lines through the stirrups, you can secure the stirrups by tying them together using a strap running unde your horses belly alongside his girth, suitable straps might be a spare stirrup leather or a side rein or a leg strap from a rug.
Probably best to practice in a school or in your field the first few times too as your horse may not have been long reined before.
Have fun😀

Boulty

Visit site
Current bridle will be fine and either saddle with stirrups pulled down and secured to girth (or some people use an old stirrup leather running between them both under the belly) or a lunge roller with the lines passed through the rings at the side works as well. 2 lunge lines should suffice (although if you're going to make it a regular thing then you may find it easier to get 2 slightly shorter lines specifically for longreining to avoid getting tangled up). I'd start off in the school at first until you get the hang of it and if you've someone experience who could help you at first that may help things move along quicker although I will admit I just decided to give it a whirl having never been taught properly with my very unflappable gelding (we suspected he may have been driven in the past anyway) and apart from some initial steering issues we were fine. If you're not sure if your horse has ever done it before I'd start with walking at their inside shoulder and having the outside line passing over their shoulder initially and gradually dropping back and taking the line behind him. Technically you're supposed to be stood slightly off to the side as opposed to directly behind so if horse does kick out as a reaction to something hovering around their back legs you're safe. Once I got the vague hang of it with my old boy we actually found we preferred it to lunging and used to set up little obstacle courses and all sorts.

Lothmorwel

Visit site
I agree with all comments.

One thing I'd add is to get him used to flappy ropes and things brushing against and wrapping round his legs. I may be over-cautious but I like being prepared and know that if I drop a line and it wraps around my horse's leg that she is fine with it rather than not preparing and it happening and her going beserk.

RainbowDash

Visit site
Thanks for your advice xxx. Fortunately my boyo is pretty chilled - i'm starting his long reining next week :). Quite looking foward to it - he's out of shape and so am I - win, win :-D