Long reining/driving help please!

Solo1

Visit site
We're currently breaking my pony to drive, so am long lining. She's very good, nice and relaxed, walking into the contact, nice and soft. Trots lovely too, apart from a bucking fit when the line got stuck under her tail, she clamped it down, it remained stuck (surprise surprise...) and she freaked. But overall very good pony.

We feel ready to take her out on the roads (well, quiet country lane!) now to get her out and about a bit. The only thing is, she's so so greedy! I just think it's going to be imposible to keep her nose out the verges, just walking to the school she tries to grab a bite to eat all the time, half halting, growling etc doesn't work, she goes deaf when food's involved! She walks nicely on the lead rope (occasional towing incident) but without anyone there I can just see the look of glee in her eyes...

Any hints or tips? There'll be two of us if that matters :) Thanks all!

Solo1

Visit site
Are you useing blinkers with her?

Hi, nope, not yet, they're being introduced in our next lesson, do you think we should wait and leave going on the roads until she's got them? (Week on Saturday that would be)

Do blinkers focus them to the extent they don't realise where verges are?

Sorry, these sound really silly questions, it's all really new to us (I promise we're getting help!)

lee1984

Visit site
Hi, nope, not yet, they're being introduced in our next lesson, do you think we should wait and leave going on the roads until she's got them? (Week on Saturday that would be)

Do blinkers focus them to the extent they don't realise where verges are?

Sorry, these sound really silly questions, it's all really new to us (I promise we're getting help!)

Hi yes I would, Its going to be a new thing to her, and the last thing you want is her boltin on the road & not beable to hold her, Ill pm you some info I just sent to another lady.

Lee

katastrophykat

Visit site
Ooo... Keep your eyes firmly on that tail! My section D flicks his tail up and over the rein and clamps it down out of sheer devilment!! He then continues on his merry way in the full knowledge that he's in control while I lever the rein out from his arse!

Toffee_monster

Visit site
I would suggest a driving whip to use as encourangement and try and pre empt her when she sees a grass verge and steer her into the middle of the lane (as you would be when in a carriage anyway) if it is safe to do so

D66

Visit site
Lunging with a pessoa helped my youngster to understand a line around the back end. She bucked a bit but it didn't go away and she settled quickly.
I second the driving whip when she forgets to behave.

Foxhunter49

Visit site
If you cannot stop her eating when you are long reining then you are not going to stop her when she is being driven!

if she tries to eat, take a good feel on the opposite long rein and give her a good slap down the opposite side with the lunge line. Make her go forward and keep her head from even looking at the verge.

thelwellpony

Visit site
I long rein my very greedy pony in an ordinary bridle and saddle and tuck the reins of the normal bridle under the stirrups - if you get the length right, they act as side reins/grass reins and stop them getting at the grass. Not very elegant, but effective!

hayinamanger

Visit site
I use one of those elasticated training aids (over the poll, through bit rings, clipped onto the terrets) for longreining. Fitted fairly loosely, just tight enough to stop them eating and taking the scenic route. ;)

cundlegreen

Visit site
She's not going forward properly. If you want to drive her, she must do what you ask, when you ask, otherwise its an accident waiting to happen. I always think that horses will take off in a trap because they are not going forward into a contact in the first place. If your pony is taking a nice feel into the rein, then she won't be thinking of eating!