Long reining help

Bertolie

Visit site
Does anyone have a 'dummies guide to long reining'?

I want to try it with my cob but can't seem to get the hang of it (think it must be my age...trying to teach an old dog new tricks and all that!). I've had a couple of people show me what I should be doing and I get it in theory but it all goes to pot in practice!

Does anyone have any hints or tips that might help?

millitiger

Visit site
what parts are you struggling with and how do you currently have it set up?

few tips to help get you started...

Have 2 different coloured lines so you can easily tell them apart if (when) you get them tangled up.

Start off somewhere enclosed and clip onto the headcollar, not a bit, to start with until you get the hang of it.

Make sure you use a roller/saddle to run the lines through as it will help channel the horse and also help to make sure the lines don't get too low.

It can be easier to start on a large circle with your outside line coming over the wither/back instead of around the quarters to start with while you get your coordination and feel sorted out.

Hope that helps a bit! :)

Bertolie

Visit site
Thanks for the tips. I've been clipping lines onto a headcollar but lines getting too low and slack. Will try it with saddle on as I don't have a roller. Horse has taken to it like a duck to water....its me that's having problems lol!