Long reining

sorona

Visit site
I am planning on starting to long rein my youngsters over the winter in preparation for their ridden work in the spring. Although i have done plenty lunging with my horses and have lunged youngsters for the first time, I have never personally long reined a youngster.
I am getting conflicting views on doing it from books, mags and riders and wondered what your opinions were.
I was hoping to start them off wearing a lunge cavesson, roller, loose side reins and obviously 2 lunge lines. The reson for the cavesson, rather than the bit is i dont want to put any pressure on the mouth for the first few times in case he runs away from me and I jar him. I will have somebody walking by his head, encouraging him on. Should i carry a whip or just rely on my voice?
I will be long reining them in a grass schooling area which has jumps up, is that safe enough or should I do it in an area that there is nothing or would it be easier on a narrow grass track on the farm so he will have to walk forward?
Any advice appreciated as i dont want to make any mistakes at this stage as all 3 boys are going so well up to now!

samp

Visit site
You initially will need someone to also lead your horse around for reassurance and until it fully understands. You should not require to use a whip and I would have a bridle on but attach reins through bit rings and chip onto the sipe hoops on cavesson. Also should not really need side reins?

ljubb

Visit site
Is there an older horse you can pratice on? Long reining is easy when you can do it but until then it is a handful. we used long reining a great deal when breaking in the youngsters for racing, have never long reined in side reins as when it is done properly the lines connect them.

Always do it in a contained, clear area. Again I have always done it and attached to the bit never a cavason, there is no need to jab the horse, just use the reins as you would if you were riding. As for a whip you can use the lines to slap them on the bum to make them go forward, one less thing to hold! Make sure that you are well out of kicking distance at all times.

good luck, lets us know how you get on.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
I wouldnt entertain using a cavesson, whats the point in that?
Get her used to lunging with 2 reins in an open space. Long reining should pregress naturally from there. If she is trained to voice command there should be no reason for her to rush off or play about.
As for where, everywhere. Start off in big open space, weave in and out of the jumps, go up the road. Basically everywhere you would ever want to ride him.
Edited to say. Dont resort to having someone leading him at the same time. Be clear about what you want from the start and expect a good response. When you lunge on 2 reins get them used to going about the place not specifically in circles. Gradually adjust your position with the reins and they wont even notice when you actually go behind them. Basically long rein from the side to teach them independance.

johnsongreyhorse

Visit site
ditto vicijp, if they arn't bitted yet give them chance to get used to having a bit in first thought
smile.gif

Christmas_Kate

Visit site
I have been long reining a yougster. I started him off lungeing, but didnt lunge with two reins. Never felt the need to. I have taght him to move fowards from the whip so will even do so in straight lines. He now goes down the long side of school and jumps on one rein.
I wouldnt personally bother with a cavesson. Although if you're really worried go for the cavesson and as someone else suggested, attatch the rein from the cavesson THROUGH the bit. Youngsters need to know what the bit is for. As you progress with long reining the bit will become an important aid, as will your voice. Don't bother with a whip, handling two reins is fiddly enough. make sure she understands your voice completely, so you should be able to lunge with harldly any whip at all. I long rein with a saddle, stirrups down, tied under the girth and the reins through the stirrups. Then if pony doesnt move off my voice I can 'jiggle' the stirrups a little, which is teaching him leg aids. Not everyone will agree with that, it's not really 'correct', but works for us.
I can't see the point in using side reins. My lad was lunged and long reined without side reins, it's only now that he's learnt what he has to do that i think side reins should be introduced occasionally. I don't believe, unless you are very experienced, that side reins have a place in long reining.
Long rein in a safe enviroment first, just until she gets the hang of it. The last thing you want is a youngster clearing off and getting tangled in jumps. Then you can move onto open spaces (I havent got this far yet).

mrsbloggett

Visit site
Ditto - would recommend practising on an experience horse if possible. My friend broke in her youngster, but practiced handling lung reins and long schooling whip on my Maisie first as she doesn't mind the fumblings of a novice handler.