Long Reining

Parkranger

Visit site
Well I have to say I was pleasantly suprised at my first LR session.....thought we'd just 'give it a go' and see how the boy reacted. He was great - working in a lovely outline, not stiff at all on his back end and building up a nice big bum (like his owner!)

He did get a bit freaked out when his blind eye was on the outside, as he always does - think it must be easier (if you only have sight in one eye) to see what's inside of the circle instead of outside...bless him! Even got a few nice rein changes out of him.

Question though - is he supposed to be working long and low? Not sure if it was just him getting used to the feel of it, but his head was pretty low but he was really working from behind......any advice muchly appreciated! x

samp

Visit site
On the long rein they do tend do work long and low, however if you play with the lines and also back up with using the reins on hidquarters should encourage them to have a higher head carriage. Also if your reins are low on your roller/ saddle this will also enourage them long and low

Theresa_F

Visit site
When long reining Chancer, I have the reins through the stirrups- he is only a baby and works low and is starting to work from behind. He is also starting to do a tiny bit of lateral work now - and we do the no canter dressage test so by the time he is old enough to compete should be perfect
grin.gif
I have actually got some weight off by doing this.

One eye - Cairo is fine long reining, and when lunging with blind eye on the inside, keep chatting away - Cairo seems to use the sound of your voice as a guide to where you are and works far better. That said, unless you look for it, most people don't realise that he has an empty socket. Don't have any problems with the blind eye on the outside, but Cairo trusts his handler 100% to look after him.

Parkranger

Visit site
Funny you should say that - I rabbit on anyway when he's on the longrein and I know that he trusts me so it's all good - he just wants to come into me and see where the voice is coming from. Only problem is that sometimes he rushes in then halts at speed as if to say 'there you are!' Quite funny really and shows his green side - lucky that I trust him now and don't run!

I was lunging with a roller and put it through the loops that would be similar to using the saddle/stirrups....so sounds like I've got the right idea.

tazet

Visit site
hi i work with driving ponies and am LR every day we also have one pony without an eye but she is the opposite if the blind eye is on the outside she spooks more and falls in but as she wears blinkers she's used to being half blind anyway. i tend to longrein in a driving roller with the reins up high to mimic more where they would be when driving and i don't have the outside one round there bums i know its different with riding animals but if i want there bums to work more i long rein with a pessoa this way i have directional control, a more even contact and is easier for changing direction, the gadget does the rest