Long Riding Boots vs Gaiters

Freya

Visit site
I have been out of riding for a number of years and when I had a couple of test riding lessons to see if I still had the nerve to ride I experienced weak ankles ( my foot almost felt like it was going under me in the stirrup!).

My YO has kindly offered me a ride on her daughters horse this year to help me get back into riding fitness before I start breaking in my youngster, so I have been looking at boots.

Which would you say give better ankle support – long riding boots or boots with gaiters?

I’m also unfortunate of having short legs and wide calves so my shopping range is a bit limited! :rolleyes:

Many thanks.

DosyMare

Visit site
I would say that gaiters/chaps and boots would support your ankle more, I ride in Mountain Horse boots - long and short. Both are good but I would say the shorter boots hold my foot/ankle better.

CatStew

Visit site
Same as dosymare. I prefer short boots with chaps as I find I have more flexibility with my ankles. I have a pair of mountain horse mountain rider classic boots and a bog standard pair of chaps. When I'm competing/hunting I have a pair of long boots, but I feel quite restricted in them. I'm thinking about investing in a smart pair of jodhpur boots and gaiters instead. If you have problems with your ankles, would a pair of flexi stirrup irons such as the sprenger ones be benificial? Just a thought! :)

jmb

Visit site
gaiters and boots. The ariat lace up jodphur boots are great! Can do tehm up as tight as you need and if at some point you need an ankle support then you can loosen the laces to accomodate this

Freya

Visit site
Thanks for the advice all, seems it's gaiters all the way! I'm looking at the Equitector gaiters as they seem to be the only ones that do the right sizing for me. Anyone have any views on these?

Not sure whether to go with their boots too, struggling to find a smart boot that I can use in competition but also with ankle support as most of the jodphur boots don't.

CatStew - I had a look at the Sprenger Flexi Irons - doubt I would get away with spending £119 for some stirrups if my OH got whiff of it :eek:

Bernster

Visit site
I'm in a similar position to you OP! I prefer short boots (Ariat) and gaitors (Tuffa) which give me better fit round the ankle than long boots. And Tuffa do a larger size/short length. Equitech boots are great for long boots. Not quote as smart as some of the very fancy long boots but those other makes don't do the size I need.

Freya

Visit site
Well I spoke to Nico at Equitector and he was extremely helpful. Ordered the gaiters and also some boots that should give me the support I need but smart enough for the show ring. They arrive tomorrow :D

CatStew

Visit site
Thanks for the advice all, seems it's gaiters all the way! I'm looking at the Equitector gaiters as they seem to be the only ones that do the right sizing for me. Anyone have any views on these?

Not sure whether to go with their boots too, struggling to find a smart boot that I can use in competition but also with ankle support as most of the jodphur boots don't.

CatStew - I had a look at the Sprenger Flexi Irons - doubt I would get away with spending £119 for some stirrups if my OH got whiff of it :eek:

I know! I don't have any either - my (non-horsey) hubby flipped his lid when I spent just over £60 on a pair of leathers and normal irons so I daredn't broach the subject. I used to ride in the Sprengers though and they really are lovely! I have an imaginary horsey shopping list of things I want and it's getting bigger and bigger! :D

C&C

Visit site
I always hated riding in long boots til now. I always used to wear gaiters and short boots but after looking into the correct attire for showing with the VHS i thought i would go for a pair of long boots (Shires Norfolk ones) and look a bit more adult. I can honestly say i wouldnt go back now :)

I wanted and still would love a pair of Ariats but they are too tall for me, dig in the back of my knee :(