Long summer coat coming through

JennyMare

New User
Visit site
Does anyone else have an unusually hairy horse this spring? My mare is 21, she was fully clipped over winter and well rugged. Where her winter coat was retained, ie saddle patch and legs, she is moulting. But where she was clipped, a very long coat has come through. It is not curly, it does have a nice shine to it, and the vet checked her over last week and took blood tests to see if it could be cushings. We did not want to do the full cushings test in case it triggered further problems. Blood is all fine, and she does not display any other signs of cushings such as the indents above her eyes filling, nor fatty deposits on her body. She's just extraordinarily hairy. Is anyone else out there having the same issue?

kirstieg

Visit site
Yes my mare has got it

Heres what hers looks like

SP_A0363.jpg

SP_A0362.jpg

SP_A0359.jpg

SP_A0357.jpg

My mares a very dark liver chestnut aswell and bright chestnut hairs are coming through

Well there going now

You can use a metal scraper or if on the belly/bum area you can trim them

Eventually they come out xx

Kezza

Visit site
my boy has never been clipped but also never usually grows much of a winter coat but he did this year and appears to be hanging on to it a bit. I think it's because it's so hot during the day but cold at night perhaps which is sending their body clocks off a bit.

JennyMare

New User
Visit site
Thank you both, especially to CefnmelynKate for taking the photos. My mare's coat on her backside looks the same as that. Poor horse, the first thing I do when I see her is tug at the hair to see if it's coming out yet!

Nari

Visit site
My Little Un is really hanging on to his winter coat, nothing is shifting yet despite most horses on the yard shedding like mad. He wasn't clipped (rising 3 so not working yet) & was only rugged when I felt he needed it, ie wet cold days, yet never got really shaggy. He's definately not keen if I try plucking him!

kirstieg

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thank you both, especially to CefnmelynKate for taking the photos. My mare's coat on her backside looks the same as that. Poor horse, the first thing I do when I see her is tug at the hair to see if it's coming out yet!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your welcome and things do look up. My mare has nearly lost all the hairs now
wink.gif