Long term use of calming supplements?!

Benefice1

Visit site
I have posted this in Stable Yard as well but no one is replying in there
frown.gif

I was wondering what peoples views were on the long term use of calming supplements.

I have had my boy of naf magic for a couple of months and i can honestly say i have noticed a difference, he is more settled, his concentration has improved and he is less spooky, however he certainly still has his personality!

Anyway i have just finished my 2nd tub and have not brought anymore to see if it makes a difference.

Do you think it is a good idea for horses to be on them long term???

the watcher

Visit site
I am on my thrid tub of NAF Magic and just would not give it up, it has made such a difference to one of mine in particular. This is one of the brands that is supposed to be safe for long term use.

I did have a bit of a talk with myself, feeling guilty maybe about chemically 'stunning' mine into submission, however I have concluded that if one of my family needed a mineral supplement long term to function happily I would not hesitate to give it..in the same way previously nutty horse is entitled to feel calm and stress free. As you say, she still has personality..but now is less inclined to argue

Benefice1

Visit site
To be honest i dont suppose its very different to all of the other 'supplements' you can get for them. It doesnt have anything 'chemical' like in it.

And like you said surely they are happier if they are less stressed, and if they are less stressed we are 2! Everyone wins!

Think im gonna buy another tub!
grin.gif

Caritas

Visit site
I had my boy on a calming suppliment from the vets that was over £30 a tub that lasted a mth. He was on box rest and insurance were paying for it so wasnt too much of a problem. I noticed a great deal of difference at first and after about the 5th tub i stopped and the horse seems no different from when i gave him the last scoop.

Nic

Visit site
I totally agree, it is a mineral defficency -If you neede iron you would take it.

I am on my 5th tub of Magic , I took D off it for a few weeks and he reverted straight back to a jogging plunging spooky beast so he went straight back on it!

Benefice1

Visit site
My boy hasn't jogged for ages and he has been much less spooky. Hasnt been on naf magic for about a week now and the last couple of times i have taken him out he has started jogging again and spooking after a short while as his concentration has gone down again.... cant think it would be anything else other than he hasnt been on the supplement?!

ljm

Visit site
I use the Feel Good 30 Science Formula Calming on my mare and have done since just after I bought her 18 months ago. It definitely makes a difference as when I took her off it she went silly again so put her straight back on it! Have recommended it to others and they too also dare not take their horses off it! I don't think it can do any harm keeping them on it long term, she certainly seems happier!

Caritas

Visit site
Your not being dumb at all, I didnt really explain myself fully. Basically when my horse is stabled for long periods of time he has been known to rear and bronk around his box, however when he was on box rest using the calming supplement he never did this at all. Now I dont really know if it worked or if it was just a coincidence and he just accepted being in. However, he is quite a nervous horse and did still spook a bit and run off when he came back into work and this was using the supplement but since taking him off of it he really is no different. Will be interesting to see when he is stabled more in the winter although he only goes out for a few hours a day in the summer, his choice. When I first bought him because of nerves he was a handful and I used to put a cold cup of strong camomile tea in his feed along with rescue remidy and mimulus, it worked and he has never reverted. Good luck.

MagicMelon

Visit site
Personally I wouldnt use it long term if I didnt need to. I would do what your doing, take him off it and see if there is a real difference. Only if the calmer really worked would I continue feeding it, but to be sure it might be good to call the company to ask them if its ok?

As for NAF Magic. Didnt do anything much for one pony I tried it on. But have just put my new 4yo on it (for backing purposes) to hopefully take the edge of him so I dont end up on the floor when I eventually venture onto his back....!!

fjudge

Visit site
My sisters conny is on the Global herbs caleme and the pony isnt coming off it yet...it has DEFINATELY made a huge difference to him. He is on about his 6th 5kg tub. No harm done...pony and rider work better together. Win win situation in my opinion, but yes, i do think that he should come off it at some point, but for the moment, i dont see any reason to.