Long-Term Use of Maxitrol for Uveitis

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
My mum's Appaloosa was diagnosed with Uveitis in September 2018, firstly in the left eye but has also had a mild case in the right eye since. Originally treated with Maxitrol 3 x a day, steroids in his food and Danilon. We are down to Maxitrol once a day and he wears a UV mask all day, everyday. This has generally kept it at bay, but occasionally his eye becomes sore - this evening his right eye is swollen and running. Last week his left eye was the same, but we gave him a Danilon and extra Maxitrol and by morning it was OK again.

I understand that using Maxitrol is not recommended in the long-term, but the vets suggested that we should continue at present if it is keeping it at bay as essentially we don't have another option. Now I am wondering if using the Maxitrol is now actually causing these sore episodes as I think it can have some long-term effects... I don't think it can be the Uveitis causing such short term swelling and soreness when the pupil appears OK, no cloudiness etc. With that in mind, I wonder if maybe we're better off just to stop using Maxitrol and see what happens? We will obviously consult the vets but I just wondered if anyone has any thoughts.

Noah has been so good throughout it all and we would love to save him/his eyes essentially!

EventingMum

Visit site
I recently had a horse with recurrent posterior uveitis in both eyes pts, the decision was made as he also had psd and had had PENS treatment for headshaking. I couldn't really comment on the long term use of Maxitrol but if he hadn't had the other problems I would have investigated the implants that can be put into the eye. I don't know all the details but I understand from the vet one can be done with standing sedation and another with a GA, I was told they're about the size of a grain of rice and continually deliver medication to the eye so give long term relief. Sorry to be so vague, as I said we decided our boy had too many issues to investigate further but it might be worth asking about in your case?

Britestar

Visit site
I have one with uveitis and glaucoma. I was given maxitrol and timolol for her.
I used them for about 6 months and then stopped. She wears a UV mask everyday.
Occasionally she comes in with a puffy closed eye - if the mask came off, but sometimes for no reason. I find its always ok the next morning without any treatment.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I recently had a horse with recurrent posterior uveitis in both eyes pts, the decision was made as he also had psd and had had PENS treatment for headshaking. I couldn't really comment on the long term use of Maxitrol but if he hadn't had the other problems I would have investigated the implants that can be put into the eye. I don't know all the details but I understand from the vet one can be done with standing sedation and another with a GA, I was told they're about the size of a grain of rice and continually deliver medication to the eye so give long term relief. Sorry to be so vague, as I said we decided our boy had too many issues to investigate further but it might be worth asking about in your case?

Thank you for your thoughts and I am sorry for your loss.

RamblingRosa

Visit site
I've been using Maxitrol for the last year. My horse has chronic keratitis in one eye, vet is happy for me to use it long term. I tried stopping but it flared up within a week so I'll keep using it.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I use Maxitrol periodically when I have a flare up of iritis/uvetis. I dont know if its the same for horses but for people it stings and causes blurred vision. My eyes will weep for a little bit after using it, but sting and be uncomfortable for a lot longer. I hate using it as it effects my sight so much. Timolol makes me violently sick to the point I have to have anti sickness drugs!

Rusvergald

New User
Visit site
I've been using Maxitrol for the last year. My horse has chronic keratitis in one eye, vet is happy for me to use it long term. I tried stopping but it flared up within a week so I'll keep using it.
Hi there I have just had a horse with the same condition and wondered when you stopped the maxitrol what were the signs of the flare up please?

Rusvergald

New User
Visit site
Hi there I have just had a horse with the same condition and wondered when you stopped the maxitrol what were the signs of the flare up please?