Longterm effects of Bute?

3BayGeldings

Visit site
I remember being told when i was about 13 that bute has serious long term effects, and a horse can't be on it for much more than a year before having to be put to sleep..

Now, this has always stuck with me. I haven't had much reason, however, to think about it until now when my 17 year old horse with bone spavin has been pescribed bute. He is generally sound, but is going through a very stiff patch at the minute probably due to the hard ground.

He's going to have a sachet a day for a month, and then half a sachet and hopefully be weaned off it if he stays sound.

However, if he is still stiff, he will stay on the bute. Is this healthy? How long can a horse stay on bute before it effects the liver or kidneys, if it does at all?!

Thank you in advance for the info!

rss07

Visit site
I don't know much about time lengths etc, but is it worth asking about Danilon, which is kinder to the system but often overlaps in purpose?

Cliqmo

Visit site
I was told by the vet that Bute affects horses like paracetamol does humans- and just as too much paracetamol can hurt/kill a person in one go, yet people can be prescribed it on a long term basis without concern for huge ill effects, so can horses be prescribed long term bute. However if you are concerned how about trying No Bute as an alternative?

bailey14

Visit site
I know a BHSI who kept her aged pony on it for about five years, one sachet per day. He had laminitis and cushing from what I remember and he lived till about 35. I thought is was okay in small doses but would be guided by your vet.

teddyt

Visit site
It affects the liver and can cause stomach ulcers. Danilon is kinder on the stomach long term.

Boswellia is a natural remedy that is very good for chronic inflammatory conditions like arthritis. It is much kinder on the organs than drugs and better than devils claw long term because it is less likely to cause stomach problems. Boswellia has been shown to have very good results with arthritic horses

cellie

Visit site
re teddyt recommendation.I have been using boswellia on my tb you can buy it off ebay.It does work and I wish I had known about it when my horse had spavin.

TelH

Visit site
One of my ponies was on bute for the best part of 2 years, he had laminitis and at his worst he was on 4 sachets a day. For the most part he was on 1-2 sachets a day. He had a blood test at one stage to check everything and it came back perfectly ok. He's sound again now and had no adverse effects from the bute.

charlie55

Visit site
My old boy was on bute for 14 years!! One a day for arthritis. He had regular bloods taken and his liver etc were always fine! x

kellyeaton

Visit site
bute can long term affect liver and stomach but if you keep having blood tests and feed your horses a liver tonic some horses are kept on iut for years and years but know there is danalion witch is ment to be kinder!

3BayGeldings

Visit site
Thank you so much everyone for your replies. If we end up having to keep him on a painkiller longterm, then im going to ask the vet about all the alternatives youve suggested and about the bloodtests. Fingers crossed his stiffness eases up again soon!!

Thank you all again xxx